Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will iTunes 10.7 run on a PowerPC?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 5:15 PM

12 replies

Sep 12, 2012 6:09 PM in response to awn27

see the underlined, I think what you need is there.. 🙂

Version: 10.7

• Post Date: September 12, 2012
  • Download ID: DL1576
  • File Size: OS X (157.33 MB ) Windows (74.91 MB) Windows64 (76.79 MB)

System Requirements

Software:
• Mac OS X version 10.6.8 or later
• Safari 4.0.3 or later
• 350MB of available disk space
• iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match availability may vary by country.

Hardware:
• Mac computer with an Intel Core processor and 512MB of RAM
• To play 720p HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras, a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 1GB of RAM is required.
• To play 1080p HD video, a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 2GB of RAM is required.
• Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater; 1280x800 or greater is required to play an iTunes LP or iTunes Extras
• Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store
• Apple combo drive or SuperDrive to create audio, MP3, or back-up CDs; some non-Apple CD-RW recorders may also work
• Apple SuperDrive to back up your library to DVDs; some non-Apple DVD-RW drives may also work

Sep 12, 2012 6:50 PM in response to powerbook1701

That is what I was afraid of--so anyone who still uses a reliable PowerPC that has never crashed (like me) has no chance of upgrading to an iPhone 5.

It makes me wonder why Apple will still support Windows XP (over a decade old), but forces Apple-branded machines into early retirement.

Is there any chance of Apple porting iTunes 10.7 to the PowerPC?

Sep 29, 2012 4:42 AM in response to zamponi

I updated to iOS 6 the day it came out. I've been running a Powerbook 17" for years with no issues. While trying to download the update through iTunes 10.6.3, it bogged down (assumed it was due to heavy traffic). However, I went to a "back door" and downloaded the update directly to my hard drive. Then, with my device attached and while holding down the Option key, I selected "Check for Update." This allowed me to find the file I downloaded and it updated my device in less than 10 minutes.

Those of us with Power PC's will still need to do a tethered sync. Even those with the iPhone 5 will need to sync/connect to their computer to transfer music over.

While not advocating it, I do know that there have been some efforts before to make an Intel version of iMovie work on a PPC. I would no doubt think that the same may be said for iTunes 10.7.

Me? Saving up the pennies (or Benjamins) for a 27" iMac. They are so choice! 🙂

Oct 2, 2012 9:40 AM in response to awn27

I think that it ***** why iTunes 10.7 won't work on PowerPC Macs with 10.5.x... but the worse thing is that iTunes 10.7 update screwed up my iTunes library. Now it won't work with the older version. That really *****.

Why would "they" create an update that takes away the backwards compatibility for older computers. If I choose the use older equipment, I understand that the new apllication may not be compatible, but now iTunes 10.7 wrecked my library so it no longer works with the older version. That's what I don't understand.

I re-imported all the song files back into the older version, but now I don't have all the playlists I created over the past 10 years. I put my iTunes library on an external drive so it would be portable between home (where I have an Intel iMac) and work (where I have two older Macs that are still quite functional).

Is there a way to import my playlists into the older version (10.6.x)?

Oct 2, 2012 10:01 AM in response to Joeswell

Joeswell wrote:

Why would "they" create an update that takes away the backwards compatibility for older computers. If I choose the use older equipment, I understand that the new apllication may not be compatible, but now iTunes 10.7 wrecked my library so it no longer works with the older version. That's what I don't understand.

When you install a new version and first run it, iTunes copies the currrent iTunes library.itl file in /Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes libraries/ folder then updates to the new version.

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Go to /Music/iTunes/ folder and drag the iTunes library.itl file to the desktop.
  3. Look in /Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes libraries/ folder.
  4. Find the most recent iTunes library.itl file and copy it to /Music/iTunes/ folder.
  5. Start iTunes.

Oct 2, 2012 1:42 PM in response to Chris CA

Thanks for your advice... I think I understand what to do to restore my old library and play my music on my external drive on my older computers.

I get that Apple can't and won't support old equipment forever, but I don't want or need iTunes 10.7 and I don't care that it won't run on my old computers.

My issue is this ***** iTunes 10.7 update has made my music... the music I paid for... inaccessible on my old PowerPC OS10.5.8 computers. Why can't they write code for iTunes that doesn't screw up a user's library. As long as you have acquired the files legally (My library is ripped from CD's or purchased from iTunes or Amazon.

I think I understand what the workaround is, but it is very disappointing that I can't listen to my music on my old computer without having to go through a whole bunch of extra steps... very disappointing.

Oct 2, 2012 2:05 PM in response to Joeswell

Joeswell wrote:

Thanks for your advice... I think I understand what to do to restore my old library and play my music on my external drive on my older computers.

I get that Apple can't and won't support old equipment forever, but I don't want or need iTunes 10.7 and I don't care that it won't run on my old computers.

My issue is this ***** iTunes 10.7 update has made my music... the music I paid for... inaccessible on my old PowerPC OS10.5.8 computers. Why can't they write code for iTunes that doesn't screw up a user's library. As long as you have acquired the files legally (My library is ripped from CD's or purchased from iTunes or Amazon.

You can still use teh music just fine. It is not change din any way at all.

You are trying to use an updated iTunes library with an older version. Most software will not work this way.

Try opening an MS Word 2011 .docx file with MS Word 2007 or open and AutoCAD 2010 file with AutoCAD 2007.

Won''t happen.

May 10, 2013 4:17 PM in response to awn27

Hi,

As a side note I did manage to install itunes 10.7 using Pacafist on a PowerPc machine running Leopard, but when I tried to launch it i got the message "You cannot use this version of the application itunes with this version of Mac OS X", which was to be expected as the system requirements are for an intel mac with Snow Leopard, but I thought it was worth a try, and the message I got which addresses the version of OS X rather than saying the application will not run on this architecture could suggest that itunes 10.7 was still written in universal binary to support both PowerPc and Intel macs before they totally redesigned it for itunes 11, but as itunes 10.7 requires Snow Leopard it will never run on PowerPc mac as they can only run up to Leopard.

For those who still run PowerPc macs like myself I can confirm that as far as syncing an Iphone 3gs running IOS 6.1.3, the latest IOS at present, itunes 10.6.3, which is PowerPc friendly works perfectly, which I think is good of apple to still support a fairly new Iphone to sync with a mac which is considered ancient in the technology world.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.