Skip navigation

Have been using FireWire 800 connection for WD MyBook Studio

142 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 12, 2012 7:04 PM by BGreg RSS
Zimmer1956 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 12, 2012 6:13 PM

Have been using firewire800 with my WD MyBook Studio primarily for Time Machine backup. May need to be replaced - if I replace with WD MyBook for Mac or something else ( perhaps Seagate) with usb2.0 will I notice a big change in time for TM? If I transfer files to another ext drive, will I notice longer time saving iTunes or iPhoto to an express drive??

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I have always used WD but wonder if Seagate or someone else has something.

Thanks

OS X Mountain Lion, 2TB Western Digital external drive for mymac
  • BGreg Level 6 Level 6 (17,500 points)

WD electronics in their external drives don't have a very good reputation, so another brand might be a good idea. I like OWC drives as many of them use Oxford chipsets as well as multiple connections like USB and Firewire (I prefer a Firewire connection). Some examples are this or this.

I use a BackPack to get my external drive off the desktop, which is a handy way to mount it.

/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/195/19550707-1.jpg

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.