Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use 1600mhz Ram for Early 2011 MBP?

My Macbook Pro is the Early 2011 2.2ghz (Sandy Bridge i7 2720QM). The wiki page says my MBP is expandable to 16GB of 1600mhz PC3-12800 DDR3 ram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro

Some people have posted saying that 1600mhz ram might not work or would be clocked down to 1333, or maybe even work but cause things to run slower. They seem to be basing those ideas off of what the FSB allows. Mine MBP has Intel's DMI bus.

What is the best Ram I can get for my MBP?

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 7:36 PM

19 replies

Sep 12, 2012 9:47 PM in response to stikygum

Depending on the Brand - some users had success using 1600MHz RAM in their 2011 Macbooks - I am one of them but I did it for testing purposes only and prefer to follow the specs and installed 1333MHz.

If you can return it when it starts giving you issues - then go for it......If not, I'm with Shootist on this one and install the one spec'd out for your Macbook which is 1333MHz.

In the end - it's all up to you...

Good luck...

Jan 2, 2013 2:21 AM in response to stikygum

Hello,

today I just received new RAM for my MacBooc Pro 2011 (early).

It's G.Skill PC 12800 (1600mhz) with 2x8GB

And it's not working !!!

The MacBook beep 3 times on starting, I removed memory and set again old memory, with old memory all is working fine.

I think the new memory isn't compatible, isn't it ?

Any idea ?

MacBook Pro 2011 does support 16gb with PC12800 RAM ?

Thanks, regards

Arnaud

logiciel immobilier

Jan 2, 2013 2:40 AM in response to Arnaud Apiwork

Never heard of G.Skill PC RAM. It's obviously not Mac compatible, To find out which RAM is correct for your system, go to the Crucial website and click on the System Scanner tab. Your system will be evaluated and you'll be offered the correct modules to upgrade your computer. Crucial, Corsair, and OWC all make "Mac"-labeled RAM - buy from one of those vendors instead of "G.Skill" - and stay away from 'value' RAM. Macs are very picky about RAM.

Clinton

Jan 2, 2013 2:49 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Clinton G.Skill is a fairly large RAM maker and is used by many and the RAM used in a Mac is the same as used in a PC. They use the same hardware.

But the RAM the OP bought is clearly NOT for his model Mac. G.Skill has a Memory finder on there website, just like crucial and kingston. If the OP had used one of those he would not of bought the wrong RAM. But it seems he didn't bother.

To prove that point as to the RAM is the same. when I bought my 13" late 2011 Mac I ordered 8GBs of RAM fro it from Crucial. I returned that Mac and replaced the original RAM in it. I then bought my Dell E6420 and the RAM I had bought for the Mac went into the Dell No problems, as they used the same hardware. I have sionce upgraded the RAM in the Dell to 16GBs and crucial only lists the Dell as taking 8GBs. But I know the Intel chipset will support 16GBs. So I order RAM for the Late 2011 model Mac from crucial, in fact the package says Mac Memory, installed it in the Dell and now have 16GBs in the Dell.

They use the same hardware and take the same RAM. The OP bought RAM for the Newer model Macs and or some generic, Value, RAM that clearly is not the right speed and more then likely is of low quality.

Jan 2, 2013 2:53 AM in response to Arnaud Apiwork

Ok how do "WE" Know it is not compatible? Because your system does not start with that RAM installed. Seems quit simple, at least to "US" it does.

Right in some systems installing faster RAM will just be Clocked down to the lower speed. With that RAM and your system that is clearly NOT happening.

Return it and get the correct RAM for that model Mac.

Arnaud Apiwork wrote:

Hello,

how do you know this is not compatible ?

The reseller said it wascompatible with macbook pro (maybe the 1600mhz change nothing to speed)

I have to select PC10600 (1333 MHz) to put a correct RAM stick in ?

It was in french but here : G.SKILL FA-1600C11D-16GSQ - SO-DIMM DDR3 2 X 8 GO PC12800

Thanks for advices.

Jan 13, 2014 4:56 PM in response to stikygum

I understand my reply is a bit late but I wanted to simply give my input. I purchased 16gb of 1600mhz ddr3 sodimm ram today for my early 2011 MBP. I installed it and my computer recognizes and shows the ram as such. It works and is running just fine. I've noticed a speed difference but I am sure it's from the 16gb aspect. But the computer does show it as 1600mhz. Again, just to let it be known as I googled this topic.

Mar 8, 2015 7:57 AM in response to stikygum

I installed (2) sticks of 8gb 1600mhz ddr3 in my 2011 Macbook Pro and while it recognized it and seems to work ok, I've been unable to wake it from hibernation. I have to do a hard reset anytime my mac goes into hibernate. I don't think it's a compatibility issue as I don't get any unusual beeps or bootup issues and it runs fine otherwise.

Can I use 1600mhz Ram for Early 2011 MBP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.