Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Doubt about what assistance told me about s.m.a.r.t

My MacBookPro has fallen, got a CD trapped and blue screen. After that was solved, became really slow.

Took to the assistance and first they've diagnosed it like the need to reinstall OS.

Now they've called saying I have to change the HD because "it has a defect on s.m.a.r.t. status, what means defect on rotation, reading and saving data."

Is that a possible diagnosis? Is it right?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 8:23 PM

Dropping a MacBook onto a hard surface can easily cause its disk to fail. Given that fact you have no reason at all to doubt their recommendation.

Consider yourself fortunate that the disk operates at all. The fact you experienced problems to the degree an OS reinstallation was required is another symptom of the failure. Back up all your data while you still can.

You can run Disk Utility and confirm the diagnosis yourself. S.M.A.R.T. Status can warn you of an impending disk failure. Disk Utility is in your Utilities folder. Go to the Finder and select Utilities from the Go menu.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2012 8:23 PM in response to madamada_

Dropping a MacBook onto a hard surface can easily cause its disk to fail. Given that fact you have no reason at all to doubt their recommendation.

Consider yourself fortunate that the disk operates at all. The fact you experienced problems to the degree an OS reinstallation was required is another symptom of the failure. Back up all your data while you still can.

You can run Disk Utility and confirm the diagnosis yourself. S.M.A.R.T. Status can warn you of an impending disk failure. Disk Utility is in your Utilities folder. Go to the Finder and select Utilities from the Go menu.

Doubt about what assistance told me about s.m.a.r.t

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.