Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I run my external display at full 2560x1440 resolution (with HDMI)?

I have a MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I recently bought a ShiMian QH270-IPSMS display which has a native resolution of 2560x1440, with DVI-DL, D-SUB, and HDMI connections. I also bought a HDMI 1.4 cable. But when I plug in the display, the maximum resolution I can choose is 1080p. How can I drive this display at full resolution? (I would not like to spend ~$99 on a dual-link DVI adapter. If this is absolutely necessary, can someone explain why?)

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 11:27 PM

9 replies

Oct 5, 2012 9:54 PM in response to jtbandes

The following might help and it is from this forum:

"The port definitely supports it, but OS X is another story. If I boot into Windows and connect it to a display capable of displaying 2560x1440 over HDMI, it just works. If I'm in OSX, it refuses to allow anything over 1920x1200. Even if I try to force the resolution with SwitchResX, it doesn't work. If I create a custom resolution with a 40Hz refresh rate instead of 60Hz, then it does actually work. 2560x1440 @ 40Hz fits within the bandwidth constraints of a single link at 165MHz. So it appears that OSX limits the port to 1.2 frequencies. I'm not realy sure why -- HDMI 1.4 should allow for frequencies upto 340MHz, and the hardware is clearly capable based on Windows.

Do keep in mind that the cable quality does matter at this resolution. In Windows, one of my cables resulted in extreme artifacts. I switched to another cable I had lying around and it worked perfectly. Weird thing was that the cable that worked was a generic one I got ages ago while the one that artifacted was billed as a high quality item with extra shielding and all that."

By the way, I aam going to buy one of those korean displays. What brand did u buy? R u content with it? Do u have pixle bleed or dead pixel on it? From which did u buy it in ebay? Is DVI--dual link without speaker better or hdmi version with sppeaker?

Thanks in aadvance

Oct 12, 2012 9:17 AM in response to jtbandes

While it's not a solution, it's probably one way to exclude another unknown: that your display may have a problem. I got a ASUS PB278 whose specifically list its capability of 2560*1440 over HDMI. Yet, the rMBP failed to achieve that resolution over HDMI, only suggesting a lower resolution (yes, it did work over mDP but I am also not interested in that).

How do I run my external display at full 2560x1440 resolution (with HDMI)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.