Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I keep a local version of documents in the Cloud?

I'm hoping I can steadily used iCloud to replace my dropbox. However, I want itt o work as my current system does: I save a folder to my dropbox, this saves one locally on my system as well as one to the dropbox servers, my local version is also backed up automatically to my Time Capsule. How can I (if I can) replicate this with iCloud? I know I can save new files in iWork to the cloud but where are the local versions that could also be backed up to the Time Capsule?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 4:41 AM

2 replies

Sep 13, 2012 11:25 AM in response to michael.amherst

There is a folder somewhere in ~/Library that stores the local copies of iWork documents, so if you are not connected to iCloud, you can still open the files and edit them. They will sync with icloud when it can. This works like dropbox, except Apple is trying to hide the details by making everything transparent. Users don't have to understand how this work in the background, they're just supposed to work. So far that's been true for me.

Can I keep a local version of documents in the Cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.