Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest iTunes 10.7 causes AppleMobileDeviceService to peg CPU, no other Winsock providers in place on Win7. NOW what?

Read through the documents from Apple on solving this problem (they say it's everyone else). So, I followed their procedures...which assume that I will find some other Winsock provider that's in conflict. The only winsock provider is Bonjour (from Apple)...yet there's no procedure identified for this scenario.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything, CPU peg came back within hours.

Thoughts?

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 6:58 AM

4 replies

Sep 23, 2012 8:18 AM in response to ALB13

I am also having this issue since upgrade to 10.7.

I've even just formated the PC to see if that makes a diffrence.

I have a Server that just runs Windows 7 32bit and Itunes.

Currently itunes is the only application installed after the format.

And after about 30 minutes of itunes being open the AppleMobileDeviceService starts to consume 75-95% cpu. And maxes out the CPU.

After a restart its OK but then after 30 minutes and samer thing happens.

Sep 24, 2012 7:54 PM in response to ALB13

I don't know if this will work for everyone. I'm in the same position where I have one of my cores maxed out by the AppleMobileDeviceService. I did have success in the past by removing the third party layered service provider (LSP) but, of course, that's not the issue this time.

What I've done recently which works like a charm is to restart the AppleMobileDeviceService. That's it. It gives me a warning that it may not be restarting under the same ID it was running under before (my ID is an administrator on my machine so I wasn't too worried) and I have no issues. My iPod and iPad both sync just fine.

I need to do this only once after iTunes is started and I'm fine until I restart the app again. Of course it would be handy if iTunes wasn't bloating up to the point where I need to restart it every few days or it runs out of memory but that's a topic for another forum thread...

Further details: I use Microsoft's "Process Explorer" as a replacement for task management so I have an option to restart the service directly from that tool. I presume you could do exactly the same way from the Services app in Windows.

My machine is running Windows 7 64-bit and I'm running iTunes 10.7.0.21

Latest iTunes 10.7 causes AppleMobileDeviceService to peg CPU, no other Winsock providers in place on Win7. NOW what?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.