Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What would the client address be for software update server for Mountain Lion?

I have just installed OS X Server Mountain Lion, and I have turned on the software updates for my clients. If my clients are using 10.6.8, what is the address I should be using?

My servers address is server.school.net

Just not sure what to put at the end.

Also would this be the same for Lion and ML clients also?

Thanks,

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 7:27 AM

5 replies

Sep 21, 2012 3:39 PM in response to Mr.1977

I had some trouble with setting up the Software Update Server. I thought that we were having problems with the catalog and tried all of the different ones offered above. None of them worked. In the end, I belive that I must not have given the system enough time to fully update itself from Apple's Servers. I left it as below and walked away from it for a couple of days. In the interim it started working and providing updates to all of our clients. I can not say with confidence what happend to allow the server to begin updating clients as expected.

In testing, I got into the setup files on the server itself. If I read the files correctly, most of the examples given here are redirected to index.sucatalog anyway. Don't hold me to that; my Apache and UNIX coding knowledge is still relatively low.

I made our 10.8 server manually from the initial installation, it was not an upgrade.

We host 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 clients.

Using Open Directory and Workgroup Manager the URL is pushed to the machines and is as given in the example in the WGM Client Software Update Server set up window.

http://yourserver.yourcompany.com:8088/index.sucatalog

Hope this helps.

-Erich

What would the client address be for software update server for Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.