Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Solve Windows 8 Metro App Crash on Macbook Pro 2010 13"

There is a known problem

(See http://www.onebitzero.com/how-to-fix-metro-apps-from-crashing-under-nvidia-beta- driver-296-17-in-windows-8/ )

that many notebooks equipped with nVIDIA GPU and running Windows 8 will crash some Modern UI (Metro) apps,

including Game, Camera, Remote Desktop, ... apps.

My MacBook Pro 2010 13" has an nVIDIA GeForce 320M.

I installed Windows 8 Pro RTM gotten from DreamSpark Premium and Boot Camp Software 3.2 on my MacBook Pro.

Unfortunately, I met the Modern UI app crash problem.

I fought against this problem two days and almostly surrended.

Unbelievablely, I could solve it.

Yes. We can simply solve the crash problem by installing the latest 301.42 driver download from nvidia.com.

But it is not perfect: we will find we can't adjust the brightness anymore.

I also tried many methods, including modifies .inf files and change permissions but all are failed.

Except one for which I got an idea from Windows Event Viewer.

I found I got an error event when I launched the problematic Modern UI app. For example,

"Faulting application name: wwahost.exe, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x50107c6e

Faulting module name: nvd3dumx.dll, version: 8.17.11.9682, time stamp: 0x4b884f8a"

(Attention! The following steps are at your risks.

Or you may not try it.)

The steps to solve the crash problem and simultanously preserve the brightness adjustment function are:

1. Download the latest 301.42 driver from nvidia.com. Then, click it to extract files to C:\

and we don't install it.

2. Copy the Boot Camp nVIDIA driver files from "13-inch MacBook Pro Mac OS X Install DVD,"

ie. this folder:

(DVD drive):\Boot Camp\Drivers\NVidia\Vista-Win7_64

3. Replace the older nvd3dumx.dl_ with the newer one.

I.e. overwrite

Boot Camp\Drivers\NVidia\Vista-Win7_64\nvd3dumx.dl_

by

C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\301.42\WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver\nvd 3dumx.dl_

4. Follow this tutorial to turn off driver integrity check:

http://www.killertechtips.com/2009/05/05/disable-driver-signing-windows-7/

and reboot.

5. Install the modified driver by clicking

Boot Camp\Drivers\NVidia\Vista-Win7_64\setup.exe

6. Reboot your computer and good luck.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 8:05 AM

1 reply

How to Solve Windows 8 Metro App Crash on Macbook Pro 2010 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.