Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail 3.4 "doesn't run on this OS"

I'm having to reinstall the Mail app on a mac mini 2,1. After the installation from my 10.5.4 OS installer DVD, the current machine OS (10.5.8) saved that the newly installed Mail (3.4) won't run on this OS. The Mail version of the busted, replaced copy is 3.6. I've run Software Update, certain that OS 10.5.8 would pick up a version of Mail incompatible with it. But no, Mail is not one of the apps listed for updating.

It's hard to believe that a Mail 3.4 installed from a 10.5.4 install DVD won't run on 10.5.8. But that's my situation. Is there something I'm missing to get 3.4 running on 10.5.8? As I can't find a DL source for Apple Mail 3.6, I'm with out a mail client.

TIA

mrbl

MacMini 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (10.4.10 & 10.5.6) • PB G4 1.5GHz (10.5.8), External LaCie HD and DL DVD±RW

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 9:21 AM

Hello, try reapplying the big 1058 Combo Update, 10.5.8...

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_8_Combo_Update

Repair Permissions afterwords, reboot.

3 replies

Sep 13, 2012 11:04 AM in response to BDAqua

Probably good advice in other sitruations as well. Fortunately, I'd stored the combo updater. I wasn't sure how the updater was going to be ale to find a defective Mail app, as it seemed to take off into a complete update to an OS already installed (and not otherwise misbehaving). But it did. Didn't do the permission repair first, but will do now.

Thanks, Masked Man!

Mail 3.4 "doesn't run on this OS"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.