Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help with understanding updates, partitions, firmware etc.

I went to update my QuickTime and in doing so was told to update my OS which included QT updates. Now I'm getting all kinds of messages about partitions, firmware etc. do not understand at all what's going on.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 8:58 AM

10 replies

Sep 13, 2012 2:07 PM in response to WZZZ

White MacBook

Mac OS X, version 10.5.8

Processor 2.2.GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

----------------------------------

1.downloaded: a documentary from a friend USB stick

2. It wouldn't play and QuickTime window popped up saying:

"Additional software is required for QuickTime to playback this media. It may be available from the QuickTime Components page. Make sure your internet network connection is active, then click the Continue button to check for the software. cancel/continue"

I have QuickTime, version 7.7 (1680.25)

3. It took me to the QT component page.

-------

If I pull updates from the QuickTime in the address bar 2 items for update come up.

"MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.2 and

MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4)

This came up before and I selected update and then it said the the partition needed to be GUID (?) and couldn't update. " Your firmware could not be updated, the hard drive partition scheme may not be supported. You must be booted from a GUID partition or RAID scheme. buttons below: Open URL or OK

------------

Partition Map Scheme: Apple Partition Map

------------

When I restarted the computer the "firmware update" thing was gone and if I pull up software updates now they re-appear as stated above about the EFI Firmware and the SMC firmware updates.

------------

Apparently if I say yes to the installs like I did before I end up running into the parition error stuff. Not sure if any of this is making sense.

----------

bottom line is my QT still won't allow me to watch the documentary.

---------

Ask me whatever you need to...I've been trying to take pix etc. but not having the easier time figureing it out. Sorry for my dullness 🙂

Appreciate your help.

Sep 13, 2012 2:08 PM in response to BDAqua

White MacBook

Mac OS X, version 10.5.8

Processor 2.2.GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

----------------------------------

1.downloaded: a documentary from a friend USB stick

2. It wouldn't play and QuickTime window popped up saying:

"Additional software is required for QuickTime to playback this media. It may be available from the QuickTime Components page. Make sure your internet network connection is active, then click the Continue button to check for the software. cancel/continue"

I have QuickTime, version 7.7 (1680.25)

3. It took me to the QT component page.

-------

If I pull updates from the QuickTime in the address bar 2 items for update come up.

"MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.2 and

MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4)

This came up before and I selected update and then it said the the partition needed to be GUID (?) and couldn't update. " Your firmware could not be updated, the hard drive partition scheme may not be supported. You must be booted from a GUID partition or RAID scheme. buttons below: Open URL or OK

------------

Partition Map Scheme: Apple Partition Map

------------

When I restarted the computer the "firmware update" thing was gone and if I pull up software updates now they re-appear as stated above about the EFI Firmware and the SMC firmware updates.

------------

Apparently if I say yes to the installs like I did before I end up running into the parition error stuff. Not sure if any of this is making sense.

----------

bottom line is my QT still won't allow me to watch the documentary.

---------

Ask me whatever you need to...I've been trying to take pix etc. but not having the easier time figureing it out. Sorry for my dullness 🙂

Appreciate your help.

Sep 13, 2012 3:09 PM in response to Kitchen Girl

I don't understand much of your post, but to cut the main question, see if installing Perian allows you to play the documentary. It will install in System Preferences>Other (It will soon stop being supported, but it will still do the job for you.)

http://perian.org/

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the download link. You might also want to get Flip4Mac WMV to play Quicktime stuff.

VLC is also a great media player and it might allow you to play the documentary directly. Even if it doesn't, good to have around.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

I'd just forget about the other stuff. Wherever it's coming from you can't get it because you appear to have PPC Mac. Apple has gone to a different processor from Intel. Used to be PPC (Power PC)

Sep 13, 2012 11:46 PM in response to WZZZ

you are right- I reread my reply and it was confusing....sorry about that. I was so concerned about giving all the details but what I put down was disjointed.

My confusion is that my apple updates that were given to me to update can not update completely because of some firmware and partition issue that I do not understand. So how do I run the updates or are the updates not necessary?

Do you think I should upgrade to the snow leapard? or is the leopard I have ok?

thanks again and worry about the randon information.

Sep 14, 2012 5:02 AM in response to Kitchen Girl

My confusion is that my apple updates that were given to me to update can not update completely because of some firmware and partition issue that I do not understand. So how do I run the updates or are the updates not necessary?

Where are you seeing these "apple updates that were given to me....?" Is that from running Software Update? If from Software Update, any updates should be fully compatible with your machine, so I don't understand where you are seeing these.

In order to answer whether you can upgrade to Snow Leopard (and perhaps beyond), can you open System Profiler from the  menu>About this Mac>More Info>Hardware Overview and post the following. But only up to the line where it says Processor Speed. Be sure not to show the serial no.

This is from mine, as an example:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

Also, select Memory and post how much RAM is installed. Just add up the invidual slots.

Sep 14, 2012 8:19 AM in response to WZZZ

THIS IS MY STEP BY STEP situation with my updates:

I go to the Apple Icon and selected Software Update and it reads I have 2 items:

MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.2

MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4

I select Install and then it state Installs completed successfully.

BUT THEN I recieve and new icon and this message below:

To update the SMC firmware on your MacBook:

Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source, or your battery must be at least 25% charged.

For more information see 'http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3499'.

1. Quit all other open applications.

2. Click Restart in the MacBook SMC Firmware Update window and wait for your computer to restart.

The SMC firmware update starts automatically. A status bar indicates the progress of the update. During the update your computer fans will run at full speed, but will return to normal once the update completes.

Important: Do not interrupt the update.

Your computer restarts automatically when the update is completed and opens the MacBook SMC Firmware Update.

3. Click OK. The SMC firmware is now up-to-date.

If these instructions appear on your screen again, the SMC firmware update was not successful. Repeat steps 2 and 3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

I follow the instructions and then I get this: (could get my image to attach but here's what it said)

the first error message heading of:

MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4

Your firmware could not be updated, the hard drive partition scheme may not be supported. You must be booted from a GUID partition or RAID scheme.

see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2434 for more information (internal error 28:3)

THEN ANOTHER ONE POPS UP saying:

Your Hard Drive partition scheme is not supported, you must be booted from a GUID partition scheme.

see http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html? artnum=303609 for more information

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------

I went to those URL and tried to understand what it was telling me but I did not understand. I can't figure, by reading thru forums, etc, if I need to do this or not and what exactly it is.

So back to just pushing a simplet update has thrown all this unknown info. my way and I have no clue what to do.

Thank you. Hope this is more clear.

Sep 14, 2012 8:54 AM in response to Kitchen Girl

Open Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities. Select the topmost listing, the drive, and look down at the bottom for the Partition Map Scheme.

If the Partition Map Scheme is somehow -- and I don't know why it would be -- set to anything other than GUID, you will need to change that, which will mean reformatting. Doing so, you will lose all your data. Once you reformat, you will need to recover all your data, third party software and settings from a backup of some kind, either a bootable clone or a Time Machine volume. You might just want to leave this firmware update alone for now.

User uploaded file

You have an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. You can updgrade to Snow Leopard and beyond, but be aware that if you upgrade beyond Snow, you will not be able to run any older PPC applications you may have. You will also have to meet the minimium requirements for RAM, whatever they are. And note that those are just bare bones. You will almost certainly need more.

For my money, Snow Leopard is the last decent Apple OS. Beyond that, Apple is trying to turn desktop computers into iPads.

Need help with understanding updates, partitions, firmware etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.