Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add new applications to the Applications list in Profile Manager?

I have some scripts and some packages that I have created that I would like to be able to include as log in items for end users. Is it possible to PUSH an application/script out via Profile Manager by adding it to the Login Items list, or does the application/script need to exist on the client machine in order to run?

I have searched through the various OS X Server documentation but have been unable to find a suitable answer to my dilemma.

OS X Server

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 9:35 AM

I am just starting with Profile Manager but it appears that the applications in the list are those on the server itself. In the past you could log in Workgroup Manager and have access to the applications which were on the client that WGM was running on. I tried this with Profile Manager but got the same application list as when I used Profile Manager on the server itself. With management moving to a web based system the Manager software does not have access to the local applications anymore.

I don't have a reason to install FileMaker on the server but may have to in order to get it on the log in items list.

iChat / Messages may be a similar problem except that you cannot install iChat on the server so that it is used on 10.7 clients. I have not tested whether or not selecting Messages automatically selects iChat if it is the only option.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2012 9:35 AM in response to twjenn2

I am just starting with Profile Manager but it appears that the applications in the list are those on the server itself. In the past you could log in Workgroup Manager and have access to the applications which were on the client that WGM was running on. I tried this with Profile Manager but got the same application list as when I used Profile Manager on the server itself. With management moving to a web based system the Manager software does not have access to the local applications anymore.

I don't have a reason to install FileMaker on the server but may have to in order to get it on the log in items list.

iChat / Messages may be a similar problem except that you cannot install iChat on the server so that it is used on 10.7 clients. I have not tested whether or not selecting Messages automatically selects iChat if it is the only option.

Sep 18, 2012 12:58 PM in response to Erich Wetzel

Thanks for the response Erich!

I came to the same conclusion after looking in to this a bit more. I'm going to see if there's any sort of hacking that can be done with the Applications directory to get more non-traditional applications included.

As far as my scripting question goes - I think I'll just have to include the script as a LoginHook script. That should push out to all of the client machines and run at log in which will be good enough for the time being.

How do I add new applications to the Applications list in Profile Manager?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.