Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my phone has been reported stolen

ok so i bought a iphone 4s on craigslist and the previous owner reported it as stolen. now i cant use the phone because its been blocked. what can i do? i have the guys phone number and text messages for proof of purchase. will sending it to apple and getting it unlocked work?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 9:29 AM

Not Apple, but the carrier he was using and reported it to. Apple has nothing to do with IMEI blocking - that is done by carriers (or I guess a few countries run national databases).

If you've tried the same carrier and it is blocked, then they would be the ones to take your documents to and make your case.

IMEI blocking also has nothing to do with locking or unlocking. A locked phone will only work with the carrier it is locked to. But even an unlocked phone can be blocked from any network with IMEI blocking.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2012 9:29 AM in response to bruna14463

Not Apple, but the carrier he was using and reported it to. Apple has nothing to do with IMEI blocking - that is done by carriers (or I guess a few countries run national databases).

If you've tried the same carrier and it is blocked, then they would be the ones to take your documents to and make your case.

IMEI blocking also has nothing to do with locking or unlocking. A locked phone will only work with the carrier it is locked to. But even an unlocked phone can be blocked from any network with IMEI blocking.

Sep 13, 2012 9:30 AM in response to bruna14463

Typically scam...take our insurance on your phone...report it stolen...collect insurance...sell to unsuspecting buyer, like yourself...use the money from you to purchase new phone. You're left holding the bag. Common in the UK.

Not much you can do...contact the police, but I suspect the seller is long gone. Insurance company most likely owns the phone, & they will not have the blacklist removed.

Apple can't/won't help you, & neither will the carrier.

my phone has been reported stolen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.