Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folders

1. There are images on the folders located on my computer; the Pictures, Music, Movies, Documents, etc. folders. Where are these images located on my computer?

2. How can I get an image onto folders I created myself so it looks like my other folders? It looks like an image engraved in the folder.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 9:48 AM

I suspect you may benefit by looking over:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2493

9 replies

Sep 13, 2012 10:12 AM in response to parker612

See the path at the bottom of this screenshot. You will need to right-click on CoreTypes.bundle to show Package Contents, then open Resources. How you get these icons into the folders you want, I'm not certain, however. But this is where they live. (At least in my Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Probably the same for any of the current OSs.)

User uploaded file

Sep 13, 2012 10:13 AM in response to parker612

Nevermind, found it. "All the icons your Mac uses are stored in ICNS files on your Mac. Most of them are located inside the application bundles, in the Resources folder. Getting inside a bundle is easy enough: Just right-click and choose show package contents."

So tell me then, how do you get them to appear in those folders?

Sep 13, 2012 11:01 AM in response to WZZZ

OK, this is how you do it.

1. double-click the icon you want from CoreTpes.bundle>Resources, which will open the image in Preview

2. find the appropriate thumbnail in the sidebar and double-click that to open it

3. use the cursor to select the image as it now appears and copy it to the clipboard, Cmd-C

4. next do a “Get Info” for the folder for which which you want the icon to appear

5. select the empty folder icon at the top left of the GetInfo and and paste it to that icon, Cmd-V

Just did this one. It's the Bonjour icon.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Sep 13, 2012 11:22 PM in response to WZZZ

Yeah, that's what I found. However, there is one problem when doing that. The folder looks fine when the folder size is above 32 pixels, but once the folder size is reduced to 32 pixels or less it doesn't look the same as the default folders. The default folders look like they have been outlined so you can see what's on the folder. But when you just copy, lets say a 512 pixel image, when you reduce the size of the folder it doesn't look the same.

When a 512 pixel image is copy then pasted for the folder's icon.

User uploaded file

And this is what it looks like on the .icns file.

User uploaded file

So I want to know how to use a .icns file as the folders icon since there are several size images located within the folder.

Folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.