One of my clients contacted me today stating that when they try to read or mount SSD drives from Netboot, the SSD drives becomes unmounted as various, random times, and then renames itself as "disk1s1"; however, if they boot directly to their internal HDD, the SSD will stay mounted. Here are exact quotes from the client:
Essentially they just disappear or unmount seemingly randomly. A power down and reseat of the drive seems to remedy the problem for a while. Below you can see some documentation that Ben put together with some details.
The OWC Drive fails or has failed in the following ways:
(This is in new MacPros 2012, not tested in other machines at this time.)
• sometimes when a machine is netbooted, SSD drive does not mount at all and does not show in disk utility
• sometimes when a machine is netbooted, SSD drive unmounts itself at random moments; partition shows up as "disk1s2" or similar instead of the volume name (System Drive) for example
• sometimes when a machine is booted from an internal HDD, the SSD unmounts itself at random moments
I instructed them to update the firmware in one of the SSD drives and they came back with:
Even with the firmware update, the drive exhibits the problem behavior.
The failed test this time was the netboot test — with the machine netbooted the SSD drive does not mount. Sometimes, but not always, it shows up in diskutil list and in Disk Utility but only as "disk1s1" rather that the volume we have setup.
• The SSD drives always seem to mount and stay mounted if they are the boot drive.
• We are seeing the issue with multiple drives on multiple 2012 Mac Pros
Client has OWC (Other World Computing) SSD drives (240GB Mecury Electra 6G).