Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3rd Gen keeps losing access to ITUNES on a WINDOWS XP server....after resetting APple TV it works fine.

I recently added a Netgear R6300 router. Since then I have had to 'reset' my 3rd gen Apple TV to wake it up and connect

to ITUNES on a Windows XP box. ITUNES on a MACBOOK Pro retains connection without

any issues.

The APPLETV retains access to the ITUNES store and Netflix etc so the WIFI connection to the wide area network is

still valid ... the only problem is connection to the WINDOWS XP ITUNES on the local WIFI.

Any suggestions on what could be causing the Apple TV to 'lose' the connection ? I don't have to do anything other

than a reset on the APPLE TV to restore the connection. The MACbook Pro and Windows ITUNES continue to be

able to see each other on Home Sharing through all of this .

APPLETV 3rd Gen

Netgear r6300

WINDOWS XP running ITUNES 10.6

MACBook Pro running ITUNES 10.7

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 10:01 PM

George, Your trouble sounds just like mine. You can read my thread here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4204561?start=0&tstart=0, but in summary:

Itunes and the Apple TV exchange messages about once per minute. If any wifi interference stops the message-and-reply, iTunes closes the home sharing connection. Other services are usually fine.

I solved my problems by wiring the ATV and computer. (Wiring either alone didn't work.) Home Sharing is now rock solid and works exactly as advertised. No drop-outs during play. The iTunes library is always available on ATV - I never have to restart home sharing or iTunes or the ATV. If a computer or ATV restarts, they pair up automatically.

Not everyone can wire, I know. But it worked for me. Test it if you can.

John

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2012 10:01 PM in response to George Oliver

George, Your trouble sounds just like mine. You can read my thread here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4204561?start=0&tstart=0, but in summary:

Itunes and the Apple TV exchange messages about once per minute. If any wifi interference stops the message-and-reply, iTunes closes the home sharing connection. Other services are usually fine.

I solved my problems by wiring the ATV and computer. (Wiring either alone didn't work.) Home Sharing is now rock solid and works exactly as advertised. No drop-outs during play. The iTunes library is always available on ATV - I never have to restart home sharing or iTunes or the ATV. If a computer or ATV restarts, they pair up automatically.

Not everyone can wire, I know. But it worked for me. Test it if you can.

John

Apple TV 3rd Gen keeps losing access to ITUNES on a WINDOWS XP server....after resetting APple TV it works fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.