Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring photos from "iPod Photo Cache"?

My 3rd Generation iPod Touch was stolen, and I had a large-ish collection of saved photos on it. In My Documents there's a folder "iPod Photo Cache" with "ITHMB" files in it that I can't open with any program on my computer. (I'm running Windows XP and have iTunes 10.6.3.25.) Is there a way to restore my photos? (I've now purchased a 4th Generation iPod Touch.)

iPod touch, Windows XP

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 3:18 PM

4 replies

Sep 13, 2012 3:58 PM in response to switzerland0071

They are thumbnails of photos synced to the iPod. Photos taken by or saved to the iPod should be in the backup if you backed up after they were taken/saved.

To get those you can:

- Use the backup extractor

iPhone Backup Extractor for Windows and Mac

- Restore another iOS device from that backup. The iOS on the device has to be equal to or greater than the iPod's.

Nov 23, 2013 8:41 AM in response to TX409

Why? The iPod Photo cache is created when you sync photos from your compuer to the iPod. They contain less information that then original of the synced photos.

TX409 wrote:

Are there any other solutions to this problem besides ithmbconverter? This application is not free and leaves a watermark upon conversion unless you pay. Seems like Apple ought to provide a solution for their users.

Restoring photos from "iPod Photo Cache"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.