Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to backup iphone after itunes 10.7 update in windows 7

After the update to iTunes 10.7 on Windows 7 64 bit today, I can't get my iPhone to back up to my computer. I get a a message about being unable to establish a session with the phone. This happens with my iPad as well. Is this a known issue, or an update issue on my system?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 6:06 PM

5 replies

Sep 17, 2012 6:14 PM in response to Doug Sekus

From what I'm seeing, this only works temporarily. After exiting, restarting, or waiting a long time, you have to do tis all over again. Not a viable workaround, at least not for me. All my devices are doing this after 10.7. Other computers are doing the same, minus one laptop. It's a problem with 10.7 in whatever situation for certain, as everything worked immediately upon either uninstalling/downgrading or re-imaging the system drive.

Jan 29, 2013 6:03 PM in response to javahacker

Okay so, i had the same problem too. i reinstalled my windows and i was unable to get my itunes to backup my iphone. Luckily, before reinstalling the windows, i had saved the backup files of my iphone.

1.You can do this by going to: C drive/users/user/appdata/roaming/applecomputer/mobilesync/backup.

2.Note: windows computer do not show hidden files by default and appdata files are hidden.

to see the hidden files, visit http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

3. so next time you format and reinstall the windows, make sure you have backed up the iphone backup files.

4.so now after installing windows again and after reinstalling all the essential softwares, reinstall itunes and connect your iphone to itunes and authorise the computer.

5. go back to the iphone backup file storage location which is:

C drive/users/user/appdata/roaming/applecomputer/mobilesync/backup.

6. once you are there you will see that there are no back ups in that location which is quite obvious. now paste the backup files of your iphone ( The backup which you made before installing the windows). as soon as you do this, you will see that the tab whi read: Restore form a backup glows up and is Clickable.

7.so now, you have the backup and restore fully functional. for a safer side, make a new backup and transfer all the purchases to your new itunes.

unable to backup iphone after itunes 10.7 update in windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.