Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD upgrade for Mac Mini

I'm considering an SSD upgrade for my 2011 i5 Mac Mini. My intent would be to run Mountain Lion and all my applications from the SSD drive and keep the 500GB HDD for file storage. My first question is if it is even worth it to upgrade to an SSD - in what areas would I actually see an improvement in performance? I have the Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD. Second question is if anyone can point me to a step by step tutorial on how to upgrade to an SSD and if I would need to do a clean install of Mountain Lion or is there a way to transfer just the OS and Applications from the HDD to the new SSD?

Thank you for your assistance.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7), Updated version of iTunes

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 8:01 PM

17 replies

Sep 14, 2012 2:46 AM in response to sjc47

If the SSD is used just for OSX, the only thing you will

get is faster booting and faster loading of apps, and that's

it.

If you are constantly openning and closing apps, then it may

be worth it.

There is of course the fact that it is purely electronic, therefore

more rugged, but in a desktop system, that is not really meaningful.

The real advantage of SSD's from a use perspective is if

you work a lot with file/disk intensive applications, especially

video editing. This means data needs to reside on the SSD

to get the benefit.

Sep 14, 2012 12:59 PM in response to sjc47

sjc47 wrote:

I'm considering an SSD upgrade for my 2011 i5 Mac Mini. My intent would be to run Mountain Lion and all my applications from the SSD drive and keep the 500GB HDD for file storage. My first question is if it is even worth it to upgrade to an SSD - in what areas would I actually see an improvement in performance? I have the Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD. Second question is if anyone can point me to a step by step tutorial on how to upgrade to an SSD and if I would need to do a clean install of Mountain Lion or is there a way to transfer just the OS and Applications from the HDD to the new SSD?

Thank you for your assistance.

I upgraded my 2011 Mac mini to primary SSD and secondary 500GB. Boot time to desktop is now about 12 - 15s. Near instant application launch. No more beach balls in Mail or Safari. Here are a couple of installation videos from YouTube. The first does not remove the entire contents of the mini, and the second approach walks you through removing everything inside the mini. I did the latter, as it provides for securing the SSD with screws to the drive carrier.

1. Simpler install (1080p)
  2. Open Heart surgery (1080p)

I purchased the OCW Data Doubler, 2.5 inch hard drive/SSD installation kit for $45 USD. This kit is critical for having the right tools for the job including the correct drive connector. You must be very patient and methodical in either video.

I made certain that the firmware was current on the SSD before it was installed. Many firmware updaters are Windows only, or ISO Linux DVD.

Personally, I would not drag system components back from an external drive. You should perform a clean install on the SSD from a bootable external USB stick. Lion Diskmaker will automate the creation of this tool.

All of my applications reside on the SSD with my home directory. Large, little accessed folders went onto the 500GB. As did my 65GB of VirtualBox guest accounts. If you do not reformat that 500GB drive and leave OS X installed, it will confuse Software update about another Apple ID has purchase authority, when there is only one Apple ID. Spotlight will now try to index both the SSD and the mounted 500GB drive. You may not like that, and it is fixable in System Proferences Spotlight. Timemachine will attempt to back up the 500GB too.

Sep 16, 2012 12:00 PM in response to VikingOSX

I have a couple of questions/comments for you please.

First, you weren't kidding about "open heart surgery" to install an additional hard drive! I wouldn't have any problem with that procedure and will do the same when I'm ready to install the SSD.

Second, how do you ensure the firmware is up to date prior to installing the SSD

Third, regarding your comment about a clean install to the SSD, my intent would be to do a clean install of Mountain Lion and the few third party apps I use on the brand new SSD (as well as reformatting the existing HDD). I am unclear about how to perform this clean install of Mountain Lion once the new SSD is installed. Am I transferring Mountain Lion from the existing HDD first (using Lion Diskmaker or Time Machine as macbeep mentioned) and then reformating the HDD or is there some way I can re download Mountain Lion from the app store to do a clean install?

Thank you,

Sep 18, 2012 7:51 AM in response to sjc47

sjc47 wrote:

I have a couple of questions/comments for you please.

First, you weren't kidding about "open heart surgery" to install an additional hard drive! I wouldn't have any problem with that procedure and will do the same when I'm ready to install the SSD.

Second, how do you ensure the firmware is up to date prior to installing the SSD

Third, regarding your comment about a clean install to the SSD, my intent would be to do a clean install of Mountain Lion and the few third party apps I use on the brand new SSD (as well as reformatting the existing HDD). I am unclear about how to perform this clean install of Mountain Lion once the new SSD is installed. Am I transferring Mountain Lion from the existing HDD first (using Lion Diskmaker or Time Machine as macbeep mentioned) and then reformating the HDD or is there some way I can re download Mountain Lion from the app store to do a clean install?

Thank you,

There is a "U" shaped tool in that OWC SSD install kit that is critical for success in the second video. You will need that kit. You will still need the different Torx drivers for success in the first video.

Most storage vendors neglect to provide an OS X firmware updater. So, you will need a Windows PC to install the updater software, and then connect the SSD before the mini installation. I popped the side panel off a Dell tower and directly connected a spare SATA cable. You might have Win7 available through bootcamp. The latter will be the only practical choice for future drive firmware updates, providing they are data non-destructive.

ML downloaded from the App Store is an upgrade solution only. It auto launches and wants to continue. You decline. Then, you run Lion Diskmaker, and it auto-discovers the ML installer, extracts what is needed to build a bootable USB stick, and you are done. That USB stick only offers clean ML installs with an included recovery partition. You would use the option key at boot to choose the USB stick. Then, run Disk Utility from the installer to partition your SSD, before the clean install.

Jan 22, 2014 2:23 PM in response to VikingOSX

I wanted to post an update that I successfully installed the Corsiar Force GS SSD drive in my Mac Mini and have had no problems or issues with the operation of my Mini. The installation went smoothly following the instructions in the videos. I also upgraded the RAM at the same time to 16GB. My Mac Mini is very fast and reliable. I ended up getting a case from OWC and turned the original 500GB drive into a portable drive. I have recently upgraded to Mavericks with no issues.

A note on cloning the original HDD to the SSD. Corsair sells a cloning "kit" which is basically just a USB - eSATA cable and software for use with Windows. This kit does not include cloning software for Mac OSX. Instead you have to go to Shirt Pocket's web site http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html and download their free Super Duper! cloning software. This software worked like a charm and their tech support was great, almost instantaneous response via e mail.

Jan 23, 2014 1:52 AM in response to sjc47

Have you considered setting-up the two drives as a single volume Fusion Drive?

Apparently, once you have installed both disks, if you run a disk repair within Disk Utility (from the recovery partition), OS 10.9 sees the two drives and 'repairs' them, by default, into a single Fusion Drive. This would enable files to automatically spill over from the SSD into the HDD, when full, without compromising performance.

For more information please see: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57584237-263/disk-utility-may-combine-custo m-drive-setups-on-some-macs/

I am contemplating doing the same with my own Mac Mini... but might just wait until the Applecare runs-out!

Incidentally, contrary to what others have mentioned here, it is my understanding that most SSD manufacturers enable firmware updates on Mac provided you copy the downloaded update onto a bootable external medium such as optical disk or flash (SD or USB) and boot from it. I have seen reports that this works with Sandisk, Crucial and Samsung (the ones I am looking at).

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10476/kw/SSD%20firmware%20update%2 0on%20Mac

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/SSD-firmware-update -on-a-Mac/ta-p/111844

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

Also, in the interests of long-term reliability, it would be well worth activating TRIM for your new SSD. OS X only switches it on automatically for Apple-supplied SSDs. There are, however, ways of persuading the system to recognise a non-Apple-branded SSD. You can find out more on these threads: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5181866?answerId=22535463022#22535463022

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1409151&page=4

Hope this helps!

Jan 23, 2014 3:54 PM in response to woodmeister50

If you keep your user directory on your boot drive, then you will see a lot of benefit from an SSD, and not just when booting and starting apps. Lots of apps store temporary/cache files in the user directory. Particularly web browsers, which can store gigabytes of small cache files in there. So you will notice a significant speedup when browsing the web, as one example. Also, if you fill up your physical memory (RAM), then the OS will use your boot drive for virtual memory, and an SSD will be hugely faster than an HD in this case. It can be the difference between your computer grinding to a near-halt, or just running somewhat slower.

Jan 23, 2014 7:05 PM in response to motrek

I didn't thimk my update would generate so many intersting additional posts! Thanks for the info. So your replies brought up some questions:

1. Regarding the Recovery Partition, I viewed the link that lllaass provided and it seems that installing a new operating system over an existing installation will recreate the recovery partition. Since installing the SSD drive I've upgraded to Mavericks so am I correct in assuming the recovery partition was created again during that install over Mountain Lion? I am also using a G Tech external drive for Time Machine backup.

2. Regarding the User Directory and Vitual Memory comments, I only have the SSD installed so I did notice increased overall performance. WIth 16GB of RAM and the type of work I do on the Mini I doubt I'm maxing out the RAM but the info about the SSD being used for virtual memory is good to know and makes sense.

3. Luke, thanks for the ideas about creating a Fusiion drive, interesting but for me I really don't store any data on the Mini, I use my Netgear Ultra 4 Plus NAS drive for all my data storage. I'll look into the links for the firmware upgrades and avtivating TRIM although my system is running so well right now I'm not sure I want to mess with anything. I'll read the links but in a nutshell what benefits would I gain from activating TRIM and do all SSD's need regular firmware upgrades for performance/reliability or is it more for hardware compatibility?

Thanks again for all the additional information! Much appreciated.

SSD upgrade for Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.