9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2012 8:59 AM by neus32
neus32 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm going to New York later this year and are contemplating to buy an Iphone 5 to bring home to Stockholm, as this would save me a few bucks. I'm aware the phone must not be tied to any specific service provider but are there are any other technical problems involved? 

Thankful for help.

Rgds Stefan

• 1. Re: Iphone 5 take away
    Ocean20 Level 6 Level 6 (13,170 points)

If a warranty issue arises it can only be dealt with in the USA and that might be a problem for you in Sweden

• 2. Re: Iphone 5 take away

Hi Ocean20,

Incidentally - Apple support told me that one year "Global Apple Warranty" applies world wide provided that a product is purhased in or ordered from an Apple store.

Rgds Stefan

• 3. Re: Iphone 5 take away
    Ethmoid Level 6 Level 6 (9,955 points)

This global warranty does not apply to the iPhone 5 though - other Apple products yes, but not the iPhone.

• 4. Re: Iphone 5 take away
    KiltedTim Level 8 Level 8 (37,815 points)

As has already been stated, the warranty on the iPhone is NOT international. In addition, the US iPhone 5 will not support European LTE networks. At best, you will get 3G or HSPA+

• 5. Re: Iphone 5 take away
    JeyakumarTVLTN Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I dont think there will be a problem.

I bought my iPhone ffrom Canada couple of years agao but enabled it in India and registered with my Indian address.  The registration went smoothly without any adverse comment.

The 1 year world wide warranty should work for you in sweeden I hope.

Samuel

• 6. Re: Iphone 5 take away

JeyakumarTVLTN wrote:

The 1 year world wide warranty should work for you in sweeden I hope.

Samuel

I don't know how many times we need to say this... THERE IS NO WORLD WIDE WARRANTY ON IPHONES!

• 7. Re: Iphone 5 take away

Hi KiltedTim and others,

Don't know about other countries, but Apple in Sweden reconfirms (on calling them a second time) that they are embracing the Apple warranty on iPhone 5 as on all other Apple products, irrespective of country of purchase, provided an original Apple Store receipt is held by the customer. One limitation on their part however, is that they carry spares for the hardware on phones sold in Sweden only, i.e. should another versions of a component be required, they may not be able to repair.

Read in the morning paper today that the large Swedish service providers are considering to adapt network frequencies in support of the iPhone 5 LTE requirements. So we'll see.

Rgds Stefan

• 8. Re: Iphone 5 take away

That's nice for them. READ the warranty paperwork. If Sweden is an EU member country, they are probably referring to the fact that the EU is considered one country for warranty purposes.

Now... since Apple does NOT repair iPhones, they only replace them, the fact that the Apple Store in Sweden only carries spares to replace Swedish phones kind of makes that "international warranty" thing pointless... doesn't it?

• 9. Re: Iphone 5 take away

I agree this may not be water proof - so I will have to consider the risk of having to send one or two phones back to the country of purchase in order to be replaced. I my case that's no big problem since I travel all the time - and well worth the risk - considering the price diff of the four phones I need.