Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cloning HD to a new HD using Disk Utility

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my hard drive (500 GB) to a 1TB hard drive on my Macbook Pro using Disk Utility. Here is what I have experienced so far...

1) I placed the new HD in the enclosure and reformated it to "Mac OS Extended (Journalized)"

2) I restart my MBP and holding down to "Command + R" during the initial grey screen comes up - then selected Disk Utility from the menu (I'm currently running Mac OS 10.8.1)

3) Then the process starts with "Copying Blocking" and it shows that the whole cloning process is estimated to take about 2 days and 6 hours... Is that even possible? I'm using an enclosure that supports USB 2.0

4) I have read a few other options in cloning a HD using a software called CarbonCopyCloner - and it is said that it will be much faster compared to Disk Utility. But I just don't want to be pay for the software simply for HD cloning; figured disk utility is just as fine as long as the end result is the same as CCC.

I'm wondering if there is anything that I've done wrong as the approximate time required is simply WAY TOO LONG! Or is it because of the enclosure that I use that is slowing down the process (especially with USB 2.0)?

Also I'm following the cloning process from another post (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3124834?answerId=15431074022#15431074022) - and one of the disk preparation step states:

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Optionsbutton, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

And I don't seem to be seeing the Option button... All I see under Erase is a "Security Option" tab, but that doesn't lead me to a Zero Data button.

Hope to get some feedback on this soon so I can upgrade my HD asap. Thanks in advance 😉

Peter

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 11:47 PM

I've always done my cloning using carbon copy cloner - it is a 30 day trial.

I've never cloned using disk utility so I couldn't tell you.

I can however, give you the step by step with carbon copy.

Click HERE for the steps if you're interested...

Cheers..

5 replies

Sep 14, 2012 11:20 AM in response to Chih

if your original hard drive came with a recovery partition - once you click clone - there will be a pop up message asking you if you want to create one - click on create - then once it's done creating one - then proceed to clone your hard drive.

if you don't have a recovery partition in your original hard drive - then the pop up message won't show up.

this only happens if your Macbook came preinstalled with Liion or Mountain Lion.

Cloning HD to a new HD using Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.