Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac scratches discs

I have seen many, many threads about this issue but no real solution so here I go:

The main reason I bought a new iMac was because the old one from 2008 scratched some of my discs. I thought it had just gotten old or something. And now, to my big disappointment, the new iMac does it too. Three deep scratches appears on the exact same place every time, just like on the old iMac. This is totally unacceptable.

Is there a solution to this? I don't want to have to return the iMac since it's brand new and I really don't want to open the iMac up myself, since I'm not that good with tech stuff. Is Apple aware of this and are they planning to do something about it?

I've found posts about this dating back to 2007 and it doesn't seem like anyone has gotten a response from Apple. I don't even dare to play games anymore since the discs get ruined.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 3:59 AM

9 replies

Sep 14, 2012 4:08 AM in response to Klaus1

I already had to replace it once, on arrival, because it made strange sounds even though it was brand new. And since this one has the exact same problem as my old iMac from 2008 it seems like a manufacturing flaw. As you can see, there are tons of threads about this issue and no one seems to have an answer. 😟

Sep 14, 2012 4:39 AM in response to BimboBoy

It is NOT a common fault. There are only a few threads on the subject, and I still think that you should take it back. That fault must be presumed to be caused by damaged or missing felt in the slot.

External DVD players/recorders are cheap thse days. I use a Samsung one that I got on Amazon for less than $40!

I should add that I have not had the scratching problem in the 6 years I have owned my iMac, but the built-in Superdrive no longer likes recording DVDs! (Worn out or faulty laser setting)

iMac scratches discs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.