Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop Exchange calendar event copies appearing in drafts?

I use Outlook 2010 on a Windows machine at work. On my MacBook I use Outlook 2011 and have the Exchange calendar configured for iCal. Sync'ing works fine, except this one annoyance.

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion copies of existing, repeating calendar events keep appearing in my Outlook drafts folder. Every few days I have to empty it, sometimes from 50 event copies or more.

MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 5:21 AM

11 replies

Oct 8, 2012 6:15 AM in response to stagger82

I have the same problem too!

since I upgraded to ML, a calendarentry goes into drafts (multible)!

If I kill this event from the calendar, the next entry goes into drafts.

It happens with both onetime-calendar-entrys and also serial-calendar-entrys.

Also tried to delete the ExchangeProfile on the IMac and recreate it - no change.

My Setup is: CompanyExchange2007 - Win-Outlook2010 in Company - Standard-Mail-App and iCal on my Home-IMac - Iphone 4S

Hoping this problem will be solved and not pushed from Apple to MS and viceversa.....but it definitley started when I upgrade to ML!

Other communities also reports this error:

.) http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/63163/how-to-prevent-calendar-alerts-fr om-becoming-drafts-in-mail-app

.) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/da-DK/outlook/thread/76aefaaa-6e96-47 7d-b66d-cd7e7b5aca60

kind regards

Boinus

Nov 26, 2012 6:54 AM in response to stagger82

This is apparently a bug in either Mountain Lion or iOS 6 (or both) in which if you have any calendar syncing over Microsoft's ActiveSync protocol (most commonly used with either MS Exchange or Google Calendar), any all-day events created on the remote system, i.e. not the iPhone, iPad, or Mac, do not get reported back to the remote system correctly by the Apple device, and as a result, the remote system creates a new unsaved calendar entry each time the two systems sync. In Outlook (with Exchange), for example, this appears as a draft, complete with an alert if you initially requested one, even if you dismissed it already.

Until Apple fixes this bug, there's really only 2 things you can do to prevent all the drafts and alerts from constantly piling up:

• Disable the affected calendars from syncing with your iPhone/iPad/Mac, or consider a different protocol, like CalDAV, if available.
  • Avoid using all-day events on the remote calendar. This may be difficult to do though, since many all-day events may be created by someone else inviting you to an event, and changing it from an all-day event may change it for everyone. However, you can avoid this problem with all-day events you create for yourself by simply making them run from 12:00 am to 11:59 pm instead of marking them all-day events.

Dec 16, 2012 10:32 AM in response to stagger82

I too, was experiencing this. There seems to be no indication of a solution anywhere on the web. HOWEVER, I figured it out.

Here's the solution: Strangely, it's not really an exchange issue, but rather an issue with calendaring on the OSX side.

So you understand, here's the configuration that can cause problems:

• you are using an exchange server to connect your email/calendar/notes/tasks...
  • You use a PC (or VM PC) for some/most of your exchange/outlook activities
  • You may or may not have MS Office 2011 (Mac) installed.
  • You have one or more Apple devices connected to your exchange account (iPhone, iPad, any Mac)

After installing Mountain lion, you start noticing events being magically duplicated every few minutes in your outlook draft folder. If you delete an event, another one takes its place.

HERE IS THE FIX:

Short answer: Sync all calendars on all devices

On the apple side (OSX, IOS) you MUST turn on calendar sync in all the exchange accounts on all your devices. I thought I had, then discovered that my MS Office Outlook on my Mac was missing that sync. It doesn't seem to matter which apple device is missing the sync, it only takes one of them. Once you set calendar sync to "on" for all the apple devices that access that calendar, just like magic, the phantom multi event creation stops.

You should check all MS products on the OSX/IOS devices AND all apple devices that allow syncing. I haven't turned on notes sync through the cloud, so that isn't one of the items that cause problems.

If you do this and the multi still appears, you missed something on one of your apple devices.

Sweet!

Dec 19, 2012 9:17 AM in response to stagger82

Ok, I assume that you have the same settings on each of your other apple devices.

Google should not be an issue.

The only other thing i can think of: if you are using MS Office 2011 for Mac, there is one more set of settings. From outlook on your mac, go to preferences, then select Sync Services

I've done this:

User uploaded file

Cross your fingers (we use it to generate more luck).

Then go back to your draft folder and (hopefully) delete the duplicate entries for the last time.

Let me know.

Dec 22, 2012 4:19 AM in response to darwinp5101

Thanks for the suggestion! When I remove the Exchange account from the system preferences and use only Outtlook's calendar sync the duplicates are gone. Unfortunately that way my Exchange calendars are unsuable, because they are all merged into a single calendar in iCal, plus one iCal calendar for every Outlook category. So I'm switching back to Exchange in the system preferences / iSync. I'd rather be annoyed by the duplicates than not have a one-in-all calendar solution on the MacBook.

How can I stop Exchange calendar event copies appearing in drafts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.