Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.sparsebundle is already in use

I'm getting the message "The backup disk image "/Volumes/Data/username_XXXXXXXXXX.sparsebundle" is already in use on our Time Capsule (80211n). What's going on and do I need to set up Time Machine again?

Thanks,

bonedale42

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Time Machine and Time Capsule

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 6:34 AM

7 replies

Sep 21, 2012 11:10 PM in response to bonedale42

For anyone else with this problem:

The above link and other suggestions I read elsewhere didn't seem to work.

Or maybe it was a combination of what Pondini suggested and what I did afterward:

After trying what Pondini suggested, I unplugged my Time Capsule, disconnected anything attached to it (in my case, the AT&T M Cell - because their service is terrible) then reconnected power to the Time Capsule - leaving the M Cell still disconneted. Then tried to Back Up again - took a while to "prepair" but its currently backing up.

[ OSX 10.8.2 ]

Dec 6, 2012 12:31 PM in response to bonedale42

None of these worked for me, have tried to solve for a few months here and there. I've seen a lot of posts, but most folks say the workarounds don't work for them. Here's what worked for me.

Open airport utility (i was using v6.1 (610.31))

Click on the Base Station tab

Click on the + button to add under Back to my MAC

Enter your apple ID and PW

Click on sign in

Close the airport utility

Click on time machine in the menu bar

Select the Run a Backup Now...

My backup started working after these steps...

The forum guru Pondini's advice did not work for me, I suspect it's out of date as the UI did not match the current UI version for airport utility, so options like trying to disconnect users were not there anymore! 😉

Hope this helps someone, I finally had to figure this out on my own... Good Luck!

.sparsebundle is already in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.