Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Three Monitors in a Power Mac

Dear All,

I have a Power Mac with the ATI Radeon HD 5770 card, I need to connect three monitors to that card. The main one and I need the second and third monitor having the same video or image, I already bought a DVI splliter and did not work, and also I used two mini DVI connecters and the regular DVI with three monitors and I am not getting the three signals.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 7:49 AM

5 replies

Sep 14, 2012 6:59 PM in response to San Nickolasito

The Apple articles tell you the path Apple has laid out for your success, but not the entire picture.

To drive three displays off these cards, you need all converters to be ACTIVE, POWERED converters. The signal levels must be re-driven, and the Driver circuits to do this cannot quite get enough power off the card itself to do this.

This article on AMD/ATI web site has an additional descriptions and "Rules" in the paragraphs at the top of the page. The tables below list some qualified adapters under the correct headings.

Read Carefully: DisplayPort is not MINI DisplayPort, and there are headings for ACTIVE as well as PASSIVE included.

Also note that Amazon searches do not always return EXACT results.

"Dual-Link" contain double data signals, for servicing SINGLE displays that are wider than 1920 wide.

The Mac is completely capable of Mirroring displays in any combination on the same Display card.

The USB-to-DVI box BDAqua cited is an interesting way to get an additional display output, but is probably not needed since your 5770 can already support three displays if you use the right adapters. It is said to be s-l-o-w.

Three Monitors in a Power Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.