Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I reset an ipod classic version 1.5 for resale?

I have just found my first ever ipod scroll wheel, version 1.5, 5GB. I would like to sell it but it's got my name in it and all my music, not so bothered about the music but would like to get my name off it. How can I do this? As I'm now running itunes 10 I can't sync the old ipod anymore...

Any ideas?

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 8:19 AM

5 replies

Oct 1, 2012 6:00 AM in response to julidee

Hi there,

I, too, am selling my iPod classic. All you need to do is connect the iPod to your Mac, open iTunes and it should appear on the left column under Devices. Click on that and then click Restore. Make sure to check for the latest version. Once it's done, simply eject it without giving the iPod a name.

Before ejecting, note that by default, iTunes will guess a name for the iPod according to the name you have set for your Mac. As long as you don't click "Done", it won't be saved to your iPod and when you sell it, that person will then be prompted to enter a name for the iPod. So just make sure to eject the iPod without clicking Done. Also, once you eject it, don't even bother selecting a language on the iPod itself. Let the person who has bought it select it. Just power off the iPod by holding the Play/Pause button and it will be good to go.

how can I reset an ipod classic version 1.5 for resale?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.