Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't hear the caller during a phone call.

I have an iPhone 4. I was on a phone call and all of a sudden I could no longer hear the caller. I reset my phone and checked all the settings, but I still cannot hear the caller. The caller continues to hear me. If I turn on the speaker phone, I can hear the caller, but as soon as I turn it off, I hear nothing. Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to fix this. Thank you!

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 7:21 PM

I'm on the same boat...

29 replies

Sep 15, 2012 7:47 PM in response to KoloheBoo

One-way audio issue? Since the speakerphone does work, it may be a hardware issue rather than what would fix it with a reset. I would still try to reset first. Holding the home button and power button at the same time will reset without removing your info on the phone. But it might be an issue with calls, which in that case I would contact your carrier.

Sep 24, 2012 8:56 AM in response to KoloheBoo

After trying everything I gave up.

But just 5 minutes ago... I dropped by phone on the floor, not from high, just sitting on my chair at my pc desk...

And someone just called and i can hear them!!!

So...

for me, i guess it was really a piece inside that wasn't making a good connection and well...

I accidentally fixed it...

But I wouldn't reccomend you to drop it on purpose.

But maybe go to your nearest apple store, ask them to open it and see if everythin is in place inside?

cheers

Mar 15, 2013 1:17 AM in response to forever young

zimz dat this is somewhat known issue.i have ip4 32gb 1 year ago with same problem.i suspect its a mic hardware issue.

i purchase another ip4 32gb last month and i did some test works great.suddenly today my callers cant hear me but i can hear them loud and clear.ill further isolate this using the unplug/replug audio jack solution or reset.

but if this happens not only to ip4 then most probably the mic used by apple is the issue here. =(

Sep 22, 2013 4:51 PM in response to KoloheBoo

Thanks so much for the suggestions to tap the phone several times. My daughter who is a new mom had this issue with her phone. Power on and off didn't work. Reset didn't work. Turning off Bluetooth didn't work. Going to verizon wireless where she purchased the phone didn't work - said they couldn't work on it and that she had to go to apple store. Went to the closest one which is over an hour from her house, and the kid at the store said he couldn't do anything for us, that we needed to call and make an appt, that it was a fact of life with the release of the new iPhones a few days ago.

So we were very happy to find this post - tapping it on it's side on a table and voila it worked.

Not thrilled with the lack of customer service at the apple store. An obviously new mother with a baby less than 4 weeks old shouldn't be stuck without a fully functioning phone, especially a phone that she bought new less than 9 months ago. But I guess once you've bought the phone you become a very low priority.

I can't hear the caller during a phone call.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.