Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synchronize passwords between accounts.

Hello,

We use Snow Leopard server. I've create a number of seperate accounts in the workgroup manager, each

with it's own password. I would like to have the password from one account autmatically copied

to the other accounts. So the passwords are all the same and when the passord for the master

account is changed, the rest is updated automatically.

Anyone know how this could be done?

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 8:20 AM

2 replies

Sep 14, 2012 10:18 AM in response to gdjjdg

There's no way to reverse the passwords, and I wouldn't expect to copy hashed passwords around. Well, if you should find a way to reverse the passwords, you've found a nasty security problem.

You can change all of the passwords with a script, and avoid the problem. A bash shell script with some number of dscl entries (see below) (with one command for each {targetuser} that you're targetting) and a symbol (YourNewPassword) containing the password should work:

dscl . passwd /Users/{targetuser} "$YourNewPassword"

Synchronize passwords between accounts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.