Previous 1 2 Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2012 10:41 PM by Sureshk0505
Sureshk0505 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

guys....i am running a mini (LION) , power mac (Leopard), MBW(M/Lion) and a Windows 7.....all of these machnes (except for the mini &MBW)  are coneccted via an ethernet cable to a router.

The router has an exeternal drive connected to it....which i use to read or write from all the machines...except for the Power Mac....coz it cant seem to write on it.

.....when i drag a file to it (from PMAC to the external drive) ...it begains to write...but however is unable to complete it....the erreor message below appears..

any ideas as to what i am doin incorrectly....thx...oh yeah...my PMAC runs on 10.5.8...

Picture 4.png

Power Mac G5 (Late 2005), Mac OS X (10.4.11), Dual 2.0, 160GB, 1GBDDR2
  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (120,375 points)

Hello,

Your pic doesn't show, usually due to dragging & dropping it, it'll look like it's there until you post, then it's gone, you need to use the little Camera icon in a Reply to choose it & upload it.

Anyway, is the external drive NTFS Format? Seems the likely cause.

Not sure if they're still available, but...

NTFS-3G Stable Read/Write Driver...

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

MacFUSE: Full Read-Write NTFS for Mac OS X, Among Others...

http://www.osnews.com/story/16930

• Sureshk0505 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi there Aqua,

Nice to hear fr u gain. I do have the mac fuse....but when i checked it after reading ur post...i realised that it was not installed !! though the icon was there....so reinstalled it.....however i still cant write on my exeternal disk...

I think it could be due to that the FUSE is for an intel mac only....maybe i have installed the incorrect version....should look for PPC...if there is one for PPC....or are they all same for FUSE?

will update on this ...tq

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

Hi, I don't recognize your Handle... am I getting old, or has it been awhile?

You may be onto something, what version do you have installed?

What's New

Version 2.3.1: Release notes were unavailable when this listing was updated.                           

Requirements
    Intel, Mac OS X 10.5 or later           

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26992/expandrive

Not on PPC right now to test, but...

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/downloads/list

Might try this download direct link, it says PPC/Intel/ 10.4+, but do not want to post the source since the have a prominent ad for MacKeeper Malware... Money... it's a hit!

http://macfuse.googlecode.com/files/MacFUSE-2.0.3%2C2.dmg

ha ha...i dnt know u that well....its just that u have in the past anwsered my Qs.....

# will try the expandrive

# my version of macfuse is 2.0.3.2.....

tried installing NTFS 3G .....stil the same.....cant write....

Hmmm, I have these...

NTFS-3G_2009.2.1u1-stable-catacombae.dmg

NTFS-3G 20070116-r3.dmg

Last one seems OS9 version?

And...

MacFUSE-2.0.3,2.dmg

NTFS-3G prefpane reports Version 0.9.7

Just noticed, you don't have an NTFS-3G prefpane...

SysPrefsOther Row..gif

i do ...i ddnt have it earlier, but i do now....it makes no difference....

Picture 1.png

I think...there is smthg wrong with the settings...coz all my other macs can...connect to my windows...vice versa......somehow, in my windows i cant even see my G5's icon..cant see the windows icon in my G5 too....

I checked my routers webpage too....read and write are enabled........further i remember formatting the external drive in my MAc with FAT 32..........

Capturestorage.PNG

We don't need NTFS then really.

What was that original error message exactly?

Does it Read from it?

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when trying to write to that drive.

Oh, since it's FAT32, are you trying to write more than a 4GB file?

Hey Aqua...i sure appreciate ur replies in helping me sove this...

What was that original error message exactly?

i tried to copy/drag......this what originaly happened...

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

................................................................................ .............................................................

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when trying to write to that drive.

A. I checked the console as u mentioned.....but i dnt understand the readings....super noob here....

Picture 4.png

B. To be exact...these readings below are the ones that appeared after i tried to copy/drag the file......

Picture 5.png

______________________________________________________________________________

also tried the info of the folder....it says i can read and write....sadly i can only READ...however i found out that i am able to create folders in that drive....

The size of the files i am trying to copy are barely 1MB...

Picture 7.png

Don't worry, I was a super n00b once... almost gave up trying to learn to walk, it was more painful & slower than crawling as I recall!

Try this as an experiment, Right click on your Causation & Remoteness 2.doc, choose Archive or Compress, which will make a Causation & Remoteness 2.zip file, rename the .zip file to test.zip... does that  test.zip file transfer?

ha ha....thats strenthtening to hear,,,,thx dude...will try to work my way to the skies..

.....tried ur zip trick....it aint budging.......

Picture 8.png

OK, we know a couple of problems it isn't out of infinity minus 2 possibilities... let's give up this walking thing!

Can you using File Sharing, transfer the same file to the other Mac or PC?

Oh, crawl over to the Get Info in Finder on that test.zip file... just in case.

hmm...yeap certain problems arent out of infinity,,,,

Yeah,,,,my other machines can write/read...

....i dnt get u on this.....what do u want me to check on the test zip,,,

I actually reformatted and repartitioned external drive....when the drive is connected directly to the G5...it can read/write....its only when its connected via the network....well thx anyway for burning ur time...cheers...

it can read/write....its only when its connected via the network...

What I was wondering is, can the G5 copy that file to other computers on the network or not.

Previous 1 2 Next