Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix corrupt user profile without creating new account?

After creating a test account that resolved my problem (Powerpoint for Mac 2011 ppt and pptx files, when opened, showed ALL blank (white) slides—no backround or image or text)—Microsoft told me to do this— can I fix my existing account without having to create a new one and transfer everything?

OR

How to do the later (if easier)?

Thank you!!! Big deadline so any help ASAP would be much appreciated.

Jane

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 2:16 PM

3 replies

Sep 14, 2012 2:25 PM in response to janefromsan francisco

You could place all your user files in the Users/Shared folder, log into the other Admin account, delete the first user, reboot the machine and recreate the first user with the same name, log into it and grab the files out of the Users/Shared folder.

User uploaded file

However that's rather extreme, you should try the simplier fixes in my list here before resotring to that, perhaps you only have a simple User Permissions issue or something far easier to fix.

Step by Step to fix your Mac

Sep 14, 2012 3:41 PM in response to ds store

I am trying to do this but the directions do not lead me to the fix:

Don't reset if your Repairing Users Permissions, instead click on icon for your Mac’s hard drive at the top. Select the user account where you're having issues.

You'll see an area labeled Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the button.

I am assuming I am NOT in Terminal, that is for password reset only, which I don't need... so, I go to Disk Utilities to do this? if so, I click on my HD icon and I do NOT see the user account that is corrupted nor do I see the Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. button....

Can you clarify?

Also, from looking around the forums, I don't think I can move all my files and apps as easily as you say above... there are hidden files, etc, so I'd have to restore to a new user account or such to get everythink, no?

Thanks for your time.

Sep 14, 2012 4:32 PM in response to janefromsan francisco

janefromsan francisco wrote:

I am trying to do this but the directions do not lead me to the fix:

Just reset the password to a new one.

Also, from looking around the forums, I don't think I can move all my files and apps as easily as you say above... there are hidden files, etc, so I'd have to restore to a new user account or such to get everythink, no?

At this point just follow through with the Step By Step instructions.

If that resolves your problem then no need to bother moving files and how to go about it manually etc, because you won't be re-creating the account.

How to fix corrupt user profile without creating new account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.