Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When starting my MacBook pro it appears a folder with a question mark

When I start my Mac, it appears a folder with a question mark. I have tiried starting my Mac with the Internet recovery options, but then it appears "apple.com/support" and below that it says "-1007F" what can I do about that?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 4:36 PM

6 replies

Sep 14, 2012 4:39 PM in response to Jorgito gigi

Hold down the option key on restart. You should see a screen with all mountable, attached drives.

If you don't see your Macintosh HD, try selecting the Recovery HD.

If you can get into your HD, go to System Prefs, Startup Disk, and make sure yours is selected.

If you can only get into Recovery, then go into Disk Utility and Repair the disk.

If neither of those works, restart holding down cmd-opt-p-r until you hear the third startup tone. Then, let it restart.

Nov 14, 2012 4:22 AM in response to MacMito22

See if you can boot into the recovery HD by holding down the cmd-r keys.

If you get in, open Disk Utility and Repair your hard drive.

For Internet Recovery, you must have a WiFi router using WPA or WPA2 security. I don't know what that error code means, but it is obviously having trouble getting in touch with the Apple servers.

With it going straight to Internet Recovery, I wonder if the drive is bad/dead. It should have presented the startup manager allowing you to choose the boot drive. If it can't find any, it goes to Internet Recovery. Your hard drive should have a normal boot drive, and the Recovery HD partition. If both are non-functioning, it would seem to be some problem with the hard drive.

Edit: I just saw another post with the same indications. File with question mark during start up, Mountian Lion

Jul 11, 2014 7:11 AM in response to Jorgito gigi

In my case, I had this exact same issue and it was related to the internet connectivity. In my corporate environment, even if I am plugged directly into a network jack, the firewall here wants to have you authenticate with a domain username and password in order to get past the firewall and on to Apple's servers for downloading the initial partition.

That being said, I connected to another network that does not have a firewall requiring authentication and everything worked perfectly.

So my solution was to find another network with direct access to the internet and nothing blocking it (firewall, internet filter, etc.). You may need to do the same and connect to someone else's network.

Dave Rapido

When starting my MacBook pro it appears a folder with a question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.