Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match double play count

Hey Folks,

does anyone else have this? When I use my iPhone to play songs from my library, iTUnes Match syncs them, but the plays count up double. As I don't want to track my listening habits on a "per ear" base this really annoys me! Syncing tracks from an iPod (the old-school way, y'know!) works fine though.

Does anyone know a way to correct this or maybe if this will works in iOS6 (or the New iTunes 😉 )?

Thanx a lot!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 11:17 PM

12 replies

Sep 30, 2012 1:00 AM in response to jay.wilkes

Thanks for the hint Jay, I did just the same now.

Funnily there seems to be another workaround: Install iOS 6! 'cause since then all the music I play on the iPhone is neither syncing playcounts through the cloud nor by iTunes Sync feauture (plugged in or wireless)

You experiencing the same? What a mess! At least it scrobbles to last.fm via dedicated apps...

Sep 30, 2012 1:39 PM in response to IamnotJohnLocke

I haven't experienced any new issues with iOS 6 regarding iTunes Match, other than trying to adapt to being incapable of deleting tracks (As long as it properly maintains the storage w/o getting in the way of apps, etc, I'll try to remain optimistic about this 'enhancement'). I just checked again and the playcounts are still incrementing, but I haven't been able to figure out the schedule on which they update.

Prior to removing last.fm I was also getting a last played date on the tracks, but this functionality disappeared again after removing it. Given that iTunes Match did not update last played dates before I installed the last.fm app, I can only assume this app was adding the play date alongside the extra play count. Has anyone heard any news on if Apple plans to add Last Played tracking into iTunes Match, or is this already implemented and I'm experiencing another bug?

Oct 2, 2012 3:34 AM in response to jay.wilkes

I have the latest beta of last.fm installed now.

I played three new songs on the iPhone. First was incremented by 1 in iTunes, but no play date added. Second and third song did not update at all. When I plugged the phone to my Mac, last.fm detected it and told me it would scrobble first song with a playdate somewhen in 2006 (sic!). BUt neither did it appear in my profile nor did it attach a proper playdate to my itunes library (on the other hand at least it didn't double anything...). Second and third song still remained unheard (of).

Funnily iOs6 apps like "CloudScrob" are able to detect iPhone plays properly along with date and time. But they also add tracks played in iTunes as these are synced via Match onto the phone.

Fix this, Scotty!!!!

iTunes Match double play count

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.