Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad Freeze, document wiped in iWork 09 on SL

I'm writing on behalf of a family member, who has just lost 3 weeks (17 pages) of work in Pages (iWork 09). She is running 10.6.8 on a Macbook Pro, and Pages backup when saving was not enabled.

Basically what happened was the Magic Mouse and Trackpad froze, the Mac skitzed, highlighted all text and objects in the document and would not allow deselect (I'm guessing because of the freeze). It then wiped the entire document. Now, the document had not been saved since just prior to the freeze, and yet the file appears to be blank on thumbnail prieview. She did not manually save the document after it was wiped, and she did not close the document after the wipe. The undo feature would only allow her to under 'turn tracking off', but wouldn't go any further back than that.

Restore previous version is greyed out because backup was disabled. She has not saved any file copies, and does not use Time Machine. The file that got wiped was the only copy she physically made, but as for Pages' autosave feature, I don't know if there may be temporary save states still there.

As far as I know, Pages preferences are default since install. I want to help her but without physically seeing the Mac, I don't know what else to do to try and find any save state files that may be floating around on the HD. I don't use Pages, so my knowledge of the program is limited.

She has a day and a half until the assignment is due, I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion before then. Please help, it's such a lot of work for someone to lose so close to a submission date, and I feel really terrible for her 😟

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iWork 09

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 1:47 AM

1 reply

Sep 15, 2012 3:29 AM in response to Switchback39

Snow Leopard doesn't have any Automatic save feature. It comes first on Lion system. I am afraid that she has to do all the work again. If it wasn't saved it is lost!! Using the Cmd + S ever so often when writing will help. The Pages Backup saving still need the writer to save as it only save an earlier version of the document. She can install the ForeverSave Lite on the computer and it will help to save the document so not so much will be lost if a crash happens.

Trackpad Freeze, document wiped in iWork 09 on SL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.