Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unmounting hd

I set up 2 SSD's - one running Mountain Lion and the other running Snow Leopard, just incase I couldn't run some of my older apps under Mountain Lion. I currently run Mountain Lion specifically.

Everything has been going smoothly since I set up this configuration in June 2012. However my Snow Leopard SSD has started unmounting by itself and I get a warning window telling me I have disconnected a HD without safely unmounting.

The first time it happened I carried out a re-start and the SSD mounted succesfully on my desktop. I checked to contents to see if the disk was corupted but everything was fine.

Four hour later the SnowLeopard SSD unmounted in front of my eyes.

Seems to be happening after installing the last Mountain Lion uopdate.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 5:00 AM

10 replies

Sep 15, 2012 5:25 AM in response to markcymru

Your Snow Leopard drive is in an external case or dock and my first suspicion is that the SSD is fine but there's a problem with the external case or maybe even the cable. It might be the power supply (assuming the external case isn't self powered) it might be the circuitry, or a bad cable.

Of course the other possibility is that it is the computer. Do you have any other external drives and if so do they sometimes dismount? Have you tried doing an SMC reset? Have you kept current withfirmware updates?

Sep 16, 2012 1:36 AM in response to dwb

Hey dwb

Thanks for you suggestions. The SSD is in a case which slides into the internal dock space of the Mac Pro.

I think my first step should be to remove the susspect disk and re-connect. All other HD's are fine.

If that doesn't work it looks like there amy be a fault on the case. That worries me because my Mountain Lion SSD is in an identical case.

I'll also search for firmware updates as that was something I didn't even think about.

Thanks aagain for your help.

Sep 16, 2012 8:33 AM in response to dwb

Thanks dwb

So I shut down and removed the the two SSD's and slid them back in.

Started her up and five hours later all seems fine.

The two SSD's are crucial m4 2.5 inch SSD's, however the Snow Leopard SSD firmware revision is 9, whilst the Mountain Lion SSD firmware revision is 000F.

000F is the latest, however there are plenty of negative reports available on forums.

Apparantly the previous firmware version is far more stable - 0309.

Reading the instructions on running the firmware update is scary. So I'm hoping my Snow Leopard SSD will settle down for now.

Sep 18, 2012 1:20 PM in response to markcymru

markcymru wrote:

Finally got the firmware installed onto the problematic SSD to version 0309 because there were too many wrnings about 000F.

It's been two days and all is well.

Glad to hear you got it solved. The frequent firmware updates to 3rd party SSDs are the one thing that worries me about recommending them to others.

unmounting hd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.