Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 preorder sales tax

My girlfriend and I both pre ordered the iPhone 5 yesterday morning (3am here in MA).

When it was time to submit the order, I noticed on her iPad that her sales tax was calculated at about $12. This seems about right for our 6.2% sales tax here on a $199 phone. Then, on my iPhone, I looked at my review before submitting and saw that my sales tax was $40.56. Does this math seem weird to anyone else?

So I've tried to take other things into account since, as far as the order goes, we ordered the same product from the same location, at the same time, and both had available upgrades. So, no differences there. Maybe because her account is based in CT, not MA... But still, our state sales taxes at within a tenth of a percent of each other, so no real differences there either. Could I have been charged sales tax on a non-contract phone? On my $199 purchase, the math works correctly assuming I purchased the phone off contract for $649, but when you look on the order page, it states that only RI and CA have to pay unbundled tax rates.

The main Apple support line keeps telling me that they can't access all that information, and because they are having trouble transferring calls due to high call volume, I must call the sales support line directly. Then they keep giving me the same phone number that I just dialed to get the apple support line. Finally, I got a number for sales support on existing orders, but when you call it, a message plays saying that call volume is too high, thanks for shopping at apple, and then disconnects.

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else? And if anyone has able to receive an explanation or solution from Apple.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 7:30 AM

10 replies

Sep 15, 2012 8:57 AM in response to jimmy pockets

I dont know if you got an answer to this yet, but i am also from mass and when i pre-ordered mine it also had the 40.00 sales tax in there based on the origional 649.00 price tag. But after a few hours once my order went from "submitted" to "processing" the final price was then 211.and change. Thats what went through my cc. I think the system just does that at first. I also know that a friend of mine didnt order his through a computer he did it through his iPad on iOs and it was the correct amount from the beginning. I hope this answers your question.

Sep 15, 2012 3:56 PM in response to jimmy pockets

I have been waiting for a post like this. Just ordered mine from AT&T and the tax is close to $52. At an 8% mark that also equals to $649. I think they are charging full retail sales tax. I called AT&T and they couldn't explain it to easily they started saying that there is an extra luxury tax but I think they don't know it's just full retail tax. They also said that it's just a hold on my card by final charge will be processed when the phone gets shipped.

I checked fine print of sprint and AT&T. Ecause when you upgrade online with AT&T you don't pay tax but it states that it will be collected at the time it shipped. Sprint charges $24 which is almost half but also claims that there might be an extra tax when it shipped.

I am puzzled by the whole issue. But 25 bucks won't get me not to order my phone. I was able to get credit from my carrier because of the competition in the form of statement credits. Ordered 2 phones and een after crazy high tax I got one for red plus some :). Tax is crazy anyone else order it an have this issue please share

Sep 15, 2012 5:57 PM in response to Awesly

Awesly wrote:

Tax is crazy anyone else order it an have this issue please share

If you think it's crazy just for the buyer, think about the retailer who has to actually understand the rules and regulations, and pay it correctly to the state. Keep in mind also that they are the ones who get penalized if something goes wrong. And people wonder why Business owners are mad at the government.

iPhone 5 preorder sales tax

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.