Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal disk randomly appears in sidebar in Finder

Not *randomly* per-se, but...

Everytime I open a disk image (Any disk image. I tried one I made myself, and other downloaded ones from online), my Data HD disk appears in my sidebar.

Not just *in my sidebar*, but in my *Favourites* section of the sidebar, intruding and messing up the order of things.

I can reproduce it 100% percent of the time; it just appears there, I need to manually remove it... then it appears again when I mount another DMG.

EDIT: I just tried: I have several partitions, mounting *anything*. Anything at all, will cause this **** icon to appear. I have also tried mounting it with the 'nobrowse' option, to no avail.

Just a note: I'm using TotalFinder, but this behavior occurs even after I *killall Finder* and open the icon (which kills TF until I open it again).

System info: OS X on an SSD in the optical bay slot, using an OptiBay. The 'Data HD' I speak of is in the original slot, and is one of 3 partitions there, including a clone of my SSD and a TM drive.

Very odd, because this behaviour doesn't occur with my other internal partitions; My guess? The fact that I have an alias from a Movies folder to my home folder. I tried making it a symlink instead (maybe...?) but nothing noteworthy happened.

EDIT 2: I just tried to make an alias from the 'Developer' folder on my SSD clone drive (same physical drive as that 'Data HD') and trying to replicate the effect: Nothing, only Data HD shows up still.

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 9:11 AM

What happens in a fresh user account?

10 replies

Sep 15, 2012 9:29 AM in response to aperturedev

Try this first...

Go to your Finder "Go" menu hold the option key and choose Library. Then go to Preferences folder and trash these files:

com.apple.finder.plist

com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

Then, restart, or log out and in again.

(You will have to reset a few finder prefs the way you like them.)

EDIT: I'd also disable Total Finder in System Preferences/Users & Groups/Login Items, for testing.

Sep 15, 2012 9:38 AM in response to macjack

et voila, all the problems are solved. I thank you!

Them prefrence files. The only thing I know more convoluted than a bunch of .plist files in a folder is a bunch of binary files in a system folder containing data that translates to a series of files and folders that are often dirty and whatnot.

If you get my drift.

Any idea *how* this problem manifested?

Internal disk randomly appears in sidebar in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.