Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching POP to IMAP

I want to switch my gmail addy from a POP to IMAP account. I have a good set of directions from Macworld so I'm good there. However those directions fall short on one particular point. It does warn against switching protocols before backing up the mail in your inbox, sent mailbox and drafts as they may be erased in the process. However, I maintain an archive of email dating back several years and I'm wondering if those will be deleted as well? Or are the only mailboxes affected the currently operational "Inbox" "Sent" and "Drafts"?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 9:15 AM

6 replies

Sep 15, 2012 11:23 AM in response to Brunettin

With POP all your mail downloaded to your computer is ON your computer and noramlly removed from the Mail providers servers. If you Delete the account it will Wipe out all that downloaded mail removing the Inbox and Sent mail folders and also if you have created any Subfolders for Saving/Archiving mail INSIDE that accounts main folders it will also delete all those.

That is why you have to SAVE your mail to some higher level folder system in the mail program, Copy And Paste it to separate folders.

Sorry I am not that familiar with Apple/Mac Mail as I don't use it (In my option it is a piece of Junk program) so I'm not sure how it really works. But with any other Mail program I have ever used you can create folders that are Not really associated with any One Account. That is where you want to create these new folders and save you Gmail Mail to them. So they do not get deleted when you delete the account.

Once you do that and then Delete and recreate the Gmail account you can then Copy back those emails to the Gmail folders of the newly created account and they will get put back on the Gmail servers.

Now this is how it works with Thunderbird but with Apple/Mac Mail I'm not sure just how it works and talks to the IMAP servers. There are reports of Apple/Mac Mail just deleting emails for no good reason. One time you open the program all your mail is there and the next time you open it, whether within a few minutes or days, all the mail is just gone.

Also it seems from what I read that Mac Mail doesn't really communicate well with any IMAP servers.

All I can say is Good Luck.

Sep 15, 2012 11:30 AM in response to Shootist007

Well, I am quite happy with Mail, actually. And I do have several IMAP accounts with it and have had absolutely no problem with them. It just so happens that when I set up my GMail account I set it to POP. Don't ask me why. Brain f@rt I guess.

Thanks for the input but I guess I'll sit tight and hope someone with MacMail experience happens along here.

Feb 9, 2014 8:38 PM in response to Brunettin

Well then I brain$*@(ed as well but I was being sold hard through reviews of Apple Mail vs. Gmail and Gmail won out consistently.

So when I had 2 gmail accounts and I wanted to have account #1 send all of my mail to account #2 someone said you had to use POP. So that's what I am doing now.

But the more I get into gmail the more frustrated I become. I sent 20 messages today and when I went to search for them in "all mail" on my Gmail account #2 (only one I am using for outbound mail) about 4 showed up. I very much want a record of every sent and received e-mail. - So I am really questioning this gmail thing... or I have done something wrong.

Not terribly computer literate but can't understand if its Mavericks or POP instead of IMAP or ????

Feb 10, 2014 4:38 PM in response to Rowena1104

Wow...a blast from the past.

I'm not exactly clear on your issue. You sound like you're thinking in terms of Gmail and MacMail as two separate entities, whereas I--and many others--use MacMail to HANDLE their Gmail. I rarely use the Gmail website. I mean, I have multiple addies going through MacMail, some POP, some IMAP; the Gmail address, I have my iCloud address, I have an address that's based on my personal website, I have an address that is like the oldest email address known to man that Earthlink still administers and they all come into my MacMail application. I can view them in their separate mailboxes or I can view them en masse in the "All Mailboxes" view.

As long as you have your settings in place MacMail should handle it all just fine. BTW I just recently upgraded to Mavericks myself and have experienced no disruption so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Switching POP to IMAP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.