Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On-screen keyboard doesn't come up?

My wife just bought an iPad 3 and is finding that the on-screen keyboard does not appear as it automatically should, for example, when opening Safari and the cursor is blinking in the address bar, no keyboard appears to allow her to type in the address bar? Some have suggested a reset and others have suggested having to go into Settings > General > and either going to Bluetooth > Forget this Device or Network > Bluetooth and turning off either the wireless keyboard or Bluetooth.

Is this a bug that Apple is acknowledging? Is this the best workaround available. My wife is a nurse and needs to be able to switch effortlessly between the on-screen keyboard and a wireless keyboard. If she has to go into Settings each time, she told me that she will probably end up returning the iPad.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 10:11 AM

9 replies

Sep 15, 2012 10:29 AM in response to WildBill

WildBill wrote:

Is this a bug that Apple is acknowledging? Is this the best workaround available.

Simply because a device does not work the way that you hope or expect it to work does not constitute a "bug".

Is there and eject key or something like that on the Bluetooth keyboard? I believe that the Apple Wireless keyboards have a feature like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpIxOBgnTxc

Did you read the instructions that came with the keyboard?

Sep 15, 2012 11:06 AM in response to Demo

Well, when you manually turn off the wireless keyboard, you don't expect that this alone is not enough to activate the on-screen keyboard? And I can't imagine that Apple expects those using their iPad to not only turn off their wireless keyboard, but to also have to go into Settings each and every time they want to activate their on-screen keyboard? If it's not a "bug," and this is what Apple expects all iPad users to do, then I'd call it a software issue, i.e., inserting an extra step in the process that should be more efficient.

However, I haven't gotten her to try the eject key yet. That would be a lot better than having to go into Settings each and everytime she wants her on-screen keyboard to work as it should.

Obviously, this is an "issue" for others, too, as is evident if you Google:

iPad on-screen keyboard doesn't appear

Sep 16, 2012 12:08 PM in response to Demo

Demo,

An important update: this is apparently NOT a bug! My wife went to the Apple Store yesterday and was told that the "eject" key serves to turn the wireless keyboard off in order to use the on-screen keyboard and back on to use the wireless keyboard again.

I thought you'd want to know, especially given how often you post to help others!

Sep 16, 2012 12:18 PM in response to WildBill

WildBill,

I did mention that in my post. I knew it was not a bug. I just didn't want to debate the issue with you. This is copied from my post above and you just didn't see it.

+Is there and eject key or something like that on the Bluetooth keyboard? I believe that the Apple Wireless keyboards have a feature like this.+

Anyway. I'm happy to hear the you got the issue resolved and that everything is working for your wife.

Sep 16, 2012 12:40 PM in response to Demo

Very skillfully diplomatic of you, i.e., "I just didn't want to debate the issue with you."

Yes, it's true, you did mention the eject key previously, although the fact that you put it in the form of a question led me to conclude that you weren't offering it as a definitive solution, but more as a guess.

In any event, thanlks for posting back to clarify!

Best wishes.

On-screen keyboard doesn't come up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.