9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2012 5:35 AM by timmy toad
timmy toad Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Hi, i was trying to tidy up my Hard Drives folder structure and moved my iPhoto Library file, which was and still is 72mb, but now when i open it, it hasnt got any photos in it ANYWHERE the file size is the same,.

I might be correct in thinking that i havent actually lost the photos that were being displayed in iPhoto, because these are still on my hard drive !.

But what can i do to get iPhoto back to where it was please.

I have even restored the file back to its original location from a backup but that doesnt work either. it is simply saying, i have to upgrade and loose all my photos ????

tim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), iPad 2, iPhone 4S
  • LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (70,610 points)

There is no iPhoto library file - there is a package (a special kind of folder with limited access)

Lets start by collecting some information

What version of iPhoto do you have? How did you move the iPhoto library and where did you move it to? did you repoint iPhiotpo to it after movine (depress the option key and launch iPhoto - use the select library command to point to the new location)? What is the exact message you are getting (there is no message saying that you have to upgrade and lose all of your photos - or lose anything at all)? Do you have a backup (if you do not sooner or later you will lose all of your files including yoru photos - you simply must always ahve a good backup)?

LN

• Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (130,035 points)

Since you moved the library launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and in the next window click Choose.  Navigate to the new location of the library and select it. See if the library opens as it should.

OT

• timmy toad Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Both of you Chaps thank you very much, i have learnt MORE about iPhoto in the last hour than i ever knew about it before.

I have version 11    and i have freshly imported all my photos into a brand new iPhoto Library in my Home folder, switched on Photo Stream and all seems to be WELL

I didnt know about pressing the ALT key to be able to choose the iPhoto Library.

There is still one thing i would like to know, how am i supposed to ensure that any photos i add into my Pictures Folder in Finder, ARE also updated/refreshed in iPhoto ?.

Thanks lads

Tim

There is still one thing i would like to know, how am i supposed to ensure that anyphotos i add into my Pictures Folder in Finder, ARE also updated/refreshed in iPhoto ?.

Import them to iPhoto - drag to the iPhoto window or to the iPhoto icon in the dock or in iPhoto file menu ==> import

assuming that you are running a default "managed" library (the iPhoto preference to "copy imported items to the iPhoto library is in its checked state) then you can delete any source photo outside of iPhot once it has been imported  --  there is no automatic import - on photos you specifically import either from disk or from a camera are imported to iPhoto

LN

Thank You Larry for your continued help, i have now ticked the box "copy imported items" i then closed down iPhoto

went to finder, selected 6 photos and put them in a folder in my Pictures folder.

opened up iPhoto again, the beach ball spun round a bit, but the new folder wasnt to be seen anywhere in iPhoto ?

which brings me nicely to my next query, it looks to me as if ALL the pictures that got initially imported into iPhoto were all in folders. so am i correct in thinking that the pictures in my pictures folder which are NOT in a folder, will or should only be seen in iPhoto if they were in a folder when they were/are imported.

Screen Shot 2012-09-15 at 20.44.48.png

tim

went to finder, selected 6 photos and put them in a folder in my Pictures folder.

opened up iPhoto again, the beach ball spun round a bit, but the new folder wasnt to be seen anywhere in iPhoto ?

Exactly

there is no automatic import - on photos you specifically import either from disk or from a camera are imported to iPhoto

Import them to iPhoto - drag to the iPhoto window or to the iPhoto icon in the dock or in iPhoto file menu ==> import

And

i have now ticked the box "copy imported items" i then closed down iPhoto

That is good but does not solve the problem for the photos that were imported while this was not checked  --  at this time it is probably best to start over with a new managed library and import all photos again

which brings me nicely to my next query, it looks to me as if ALL the pictures that got initially imported into iPhoto were all in folders. so am i correct in thinking that the pictures in my pictures folder which are NOT in a folder, will or should only be seen in iPhoto if they were in a folder when they were/are imported.

I am not sure what you are saying

But when you import a photo it is iPhoto no matter where it came from - until you import it it is not in iPhoto - finder folders make no difference and have no bearing on iPhoto  --  folders in iPhoto do not hold photos, just other folders or albums

You prebably should take the iPhoto tutorials - that will save a lot of time and frustration

LN

Hi buddy, i have taken more than enough of your valuable time, i shall have a good look at all the tutorial videos available from that link above thanks

as regards the part of my banter you didnt understand, my fault for not explaining correctly.

I had started a brand new BLANK copy of iPhoto, i selected all the files and folders in my Pictures folder that i wanted to import into iPhoto

when it had finished the importing process, i look in iPhoto, it contains all folders, it didnt seem to import the files that werent in a folder which i selected along with the folders !. that is what i was puzzled about.

I will obviously now arrange all my Pictures into relevantly named folders and start from scratch and Import all the folders.

At the moment your mention of Albums only confuses me more than i was before.

Tim

Watch the tutorials - events are sutomatic very basic, inflexible organization - albums and folders are for detailed organization

LN

Thanks buddy, it is ALL a lot clearer now, brill. 

Tim