6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2012 5:25 PM by azartguy
azartguy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I use the iPad USB to connect to my iMac for sync/power; I also have the iPad SD card reader. Can I connect the card reader to the USB cord and use that as a SD card reader to download camera images to my iMac? I don't know what to call that connector and can't seem to find it online.

Thanks,

Brian

iPad 2, Mac OS X (10.7.3)
  • King_Penguin Level 10 Level 10 (106,125 points)

You can use the cable that you use to sync and charge the iPad to copy photos to your Mac, you don't use the camera connection kit (the kit is only for copying photos/videos to the iPad).

Photos that you've taken with the iPad or copied to the iPad via the kit should be recognised by iPhoto, Aperture or Image Capture on your Mac when you connect the iPad to it with the cable : copying photos.

• Moose Alaydrus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

You can take a look at the accessory here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

In response to your question "Can I connect the card reader to the USB cord and use that as a SD card reader to download camera images to my iMac?":

No... assuming that what you have is the one in the link above. The other end of the SD card reader only goes to an iPhone/iPad/iPod, but not an iMac.

Most cameras can be connected directly to the USB of your iMac, and the iMac should already havea built in SD Card slot (don't own one, but i'm pretty sure it has one).

Hope this helps.

Just a minor note, the accessory is only compatible with iPads.... :)

• azartguy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. The only  "open" USB port has to handle the iPad cable and the Nikon cable to download RAW files.  Plus, when I don't want to move the camera so I take the SD card outI then need a card reader to download to the iMac (older model, no SD slot). That means there are 3 "devices using"  that one USB port.

I hoped there was a way to double/triple up the use of the iPad cable without having to plug/unplug all the time and cluttering up with more cables or hubs etc. My thinking was:

• If the iPad cable connects to the iMac  (iMac USB port  >  cable)
    • And the cable connects to the iPad (iMac > cable > iPad)
    • And the iPad SD card reader connects to the iPad  (iPad SD reader > iPad),
    • Then something that  connects the cable to the SD reader should work

(iMac > cable > connector > SD reader)

Does this "connector" exist or am I confused, again?

Brian

Ok,

I managed to draw up a sketch to see if i understand what you're asking. you can access it in the link below (my public dropbox folder).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46366903/IMG_6924.PNG

Please let me know if the above pic is what you meant (I couldn't attach the image here for some reason...)

Cheers.

• azartguy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Went to dropboxand, yes,  that's what I'm looking for; and if you are also correct that it doesn't exist, that answers the question. Too bad, it would be handy,

Brian