Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD card reader

I use the iPad USB to connect to my iMac for sync/power; I also have the iPad SD card reader. Can I connect the card reader to the USB cord and use that as a SD card reader to download camera images to my iMac? I don't know what to call that connector and can't seem to find it online.

Thanks,

Brian

iPad 2, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 12:08 PM

You can use the cable that you use to sync and charge the iPad to copy photos to your Mac, you don't use the camera connection kit (the kit is only for copying photos/videos to the iPad).

Photos that you've taken with the iPad or copied to the iPad via the kit should be recognised by iPhoto, Aperture or Image Capture on your Mac when you connect the iPad to it with the cable : copying photos.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2012 12:08 PM in response to azartguy

You can use the cable that you use to sync and charge the iPad to copy photos to your Mac, you don't use the camera connection kit (the kit is only for copying photos/videos to the iPad).

Photos that you've taken with the iPad or copied to the iPad via the kit should be recognised by iPhoto, Aperture or Image Capture on your Mac when you connect the iPad to it with the cable : copying photos.

Sep 15, 2012 12:16 PM in response to azartguy

You can take a look at the accessory here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

In response to your question "Can I connect the card reader to the USB cord and use that as a SD card reader to download camera images to my iMac?":

No... assuming that what you have is the one in the link above. The other end of the SD card reader only goes to an iPhone/iPad/iPod, but not an iMac.

Most cameras can be connected directly to the USB of your iMac, and the iMac should already havea built in SD Card slot (don't own one, but i'm pretty sure it has one).

Hope this helps.

Sep 15, 2012 2:19 PM in response to King_Penguin

Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. The only "open" USB port has to handle the iPad cable and the Nikon cable to download RAW files. Plus, when I don't want to move the camera so I take the SD card outI then need a card reader to download to the iMac (older model, no SD slot). That means there are 3 "devices using" that one USB port.

I hoped there was a way to double/triple up the use of the iPad cable without having to plug/unplug all the time and cluttering up with more cables or hubs etc. My thinking was:

• If the iPad cable connects to the iMac (iMac USB port > cable)
  • And the cable connects to the iPad (iMac > cable > iPad)
  • And the iPad SD card reader connects to the iPad (iPad SD reader > iPad),
  • Then something that connects the cable to the SD reader should work

(iMac > cable > connector > SD reader)

Does this "connector" exist or am I confused, again?

Brian

SD card reader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.