Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In-app purchases won't work

I have 2 iPod Touches, a 2nd-gen and a 4th-gen. I used the 2nd-gen, and my wife used the 4th-gen. Both were attached to the same Apple account. She could make in-app purchases, but I could not—whenever I tried, it either gave me some kind of error or just failed with no explanation. I could never get it to work.

Recently we traded iPods, restoring our stuff onto them from backups. But it's the same situation—she can make purchases, and I can't, even though we're using the other iPods now.

This leads me to believe there's something messed up with my iPod software somehow. It can't be my Apple account, because both iPods use the same one. And it can't be the hardware, because now we've switched. I'm really at a loss for how to fix this.

Just FYI, restrictions are not enabled on my iPod. It is also not, nor ever has been, jailbroken.

iPod touch, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 1:55 PM

What happens when you try:

You can try the standard fixes:

- A reset. Nothing is lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Restore from backup

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore to factory settings/new iPod.

If you still have the problem that indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2012 1:55 PM in response to Khadrelt

What happens when you try:

You can try the standard fixes:

- A reset. Nothing is lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Restore from backup

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore to factory settings/new iPod.

If you still have the problem that indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order

Sep 16, 2012 8:37 AM in response to lllaass

Unfortunately, I've tried all of those except restoring as a new iPod, and I still have the same problem. I guess resetting as new iPod is all there is left to try, but I hesitate to do so because won't I lose a lot of data, like game progress and high scores and such?

I really don't think it could be a hardware problem, because the 4th gen iPod could make purchases fine before, and the 2nd gen couldn't, but now that we've switched iPods the opposite is true. Now the 2nd gen can make purchases and the 4th gen can't. It has to have something to do with my software, but what could it possibly be if resetting all settings doesn't change anything?

In-app purchases won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.