Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running The Mac Mini Non-stop

Does anyone have experience or an opinion on running the Mac Mini continuously non-stop for long periods of time (e.g. months)? Let's assume that sleep mode is disabled.

How will this affect the reliability of the machine?

I do this to my PC and they seem fine. Just wondering if the Mac Mini will do okay.

Mac Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz; 2 GB RAM; OS X 10.4.6

Posted on Apr 3, 2006 8:11 PM

5 replies

Apr 4, 2006 4:36 PM in response to Albertus

A few quick items:

1) I agree with all who posted. You should have no problem leaving the Mini on indefinitely.

2) Go to your System Preferences and select the Energy Saving Option (It looks like a light bulb). Check off to turn the Hard Drive off when possible, Select Sleep, Never and set your monitor to power down when you want it to.

3) If you have a broadband internet connection where it is always on, you want to make sure your firewall is up. Go to System Preferences, select Sharing and then select Firewall. Turn it on for your protection. You probably don't need it if you have a router, but just in case.

Good luck!

Running The Mac Mini Non-stop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.