Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hair Dryer RAM fix multiple times

I recently bought a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GHz. The other day it wouldn't boot up, so I did some internetting and found the hair dryer trick. It worked, but it has now decided not to boot up again. The symptoms are the same as last time (light blinks twice, after a while fans go into jet engine mode), so I'm assuming that the hair dryer trick will work again. I was wondering if this problem will just keep occuring, and if there is a (free/cheap) way to fix it. Will the hair drying fix continue to work if the problem keeps occuring? It seems like the kind of thing that will eventually loose it's touch. But in all honestly, if I absolutely have must, I wouldn't mind taking a hair dryer to my PowerMac every few days.

PowerMac, Dual 1.8GHz

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 4:10 PM

12 replies

Sep 15, 2012 11:53 PM in response to michele trybus

That machine has solder fault so what you are doing is to heat up the contacts so they enlarge just enough to make contact. The famous Nvidia defect in Macbook Pro -machines is about the same thing, solder contacts crack and the chip cannot function at all or properly. By using heat gun you might be able to melt and reconnect the joints, I currently write this by using Macbook Pro which I fixed by using that method. However, to create solid connection by using non-professional soldering tools is difficult. I had the heat gun, infrared thermometer and some flux and so far this machine has served me one year after the fix but I expect it to fail again eventually since I cannot replace the bad solder material under the chip, just reflow it.

Sep 23, 2012 2:39 PM in response to michele trybus

Not necessarily.

You aren't heating the chips, you are heating the solder of the BGA.

You do want to secure any part/chip that you will attempt reflow, as if upside down and the solder melts, the part/chip may fall off the board.

In this case, though the chip is on the backside with the heatsink on top of it, the BGA is seen to the front side.

Sep 24, 2012 12:27 PM in response to michele trybus

Remove everything you need to reveal the chip itself. Surround the chip with aluminium foil, three or four layers, it is not necassary to cover the whole motherboard, just the surroundings of the chip. One thing that you also want to avoid is the flexing of the motherboard so you must support the backside of the chip somehow, if the board flexes too much then you may kiss the G5 goodbye in most cases.

It would be wise to have infrared thermometer which you can use to measure temperatures, the board might work fine for a while after reflowing it "blindly" without knowing the temps, but most likely you will either heat it too much (and cause damage) or too little to actually melt the solder which is the key for a bit longer lasting fix. It is not recommended to heat too quickly as you might cause all sorts of components popping out like popcorn in a microwave (been there done that).

Hair Dryer RAM fix multiple times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.