Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Apple still supporting Snow Leopard?

Is Apple still supporting 10.6.8? And if they are how will I know when they stop supporting it?

Thanks,

Liz

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 4:13 PM

6 replies

Sep 15, 2012 4:30 PM in response to LIZ BUCHER

Snow Leopard is very stable at this point. The only updates are security updates, as needed. I don't recall Apple announcing that they were no longer supporting an operating system, they just sort of let it slide off in the distance (sort of like Gen. Douglas MacArthurs "old soldiers never die, they just fade away")

Sep 15, 2012 4:52 PM in response to LIZ BUCHER

Yes, except for no Safari 6. iTunes and security updates like from Java are current.

10.6 has over 50% OS X market share, 10.7 about 25% or so and 10.8 was just released, so perhaps 10%. (10.5 + 10.4 about 15%)

You should be using Firefox (or god forbid Chrome) as well as read up about backing up, cloning your perfectly working boot drive and hardening 10.6 for the long haul.

Most commonly used backup methods

Harden your Mac against malware attacks

I think Apple learned their lesson what occured with Flashback, which they did ignore older OS X versions for security updates and thus had a botnet of 600,000 compromised Macs.

Their older policy under Jobs was to only support the last two OS X versions, however now they are supporting 3, perhaps they are realizing it's not wise or fair to those who don't know how or able to upgrade OS X to run a insecure machine.

After all that's one bad way to get a return customer, if their older OS X machine was compromised because Apple refused to issue a security update.

Sep 15, 2012 7:27 PM in response to LIZ BUCHER

LIZ BUCHER wrote:

Is Apple still supporting 10.6.8?

Sort of. They have provided the latest Java update a couple of weeks ago, but there's no sign of 10.6.9 or any additional security updates. According to this site they are even supporting Leopard, but there hasn't been a substantial update to it since June 2011 (I don't count the Flashback update for Leopard Intel Macs as being substantial since it did not fix the root problem with Java).

And if they are how will I know when they stop supporting it?

I feel certain that you won't. It's obvious that they only staff for full support of the latest two OS versions. They seem to be a bit more sensitive to Java and the Flashback Trojan, but nothing else, to date. About the only time I recall them making anything resembling a formal announcement of obsolescence has been when Classic OS would no longer run under Leopard.

Sep 16, 2012 7:31 AM in response to MadMacs0

Thanks everybody for your replies. This is my first Mac so I've been a bit bumfuzzled realizing a month ago when I got my first iPhone that there had been two major upgrades since I got my MacBook Pro in 2010. Windows made such a big deal when they would issue a new upgrade so I had no idea all this was going on with Apple.

Macrumors told me to read their news reports in order to stay up to date on what's going on. I find that a bit annoying.....seems it should be reported more widely. Is there some reason it isn't?

I subscribe to the Apple Hot News but haven't been reading it all that much. Would I have seen these upgrades there? I just need a reliable source that isn't so time consuming.

I use FF so I think I'm safe there. I do have backups. I did get the Java update and the recent iTunes, appreciate that Apple. I can sync everything I need with the iPhone without the Cloud so I think I'll stay with SL for now. I did read that the battery problem has been fixed but I haven't heard if some aren't still having WiFi issues. I just don't have the time to hassle with problems that I'm not having with SL.

Thanks again 😀

Sep 16, 2012 8:00 AM in response to LIZ BUCHER

LIZ BUCHER wrote:

I just don't have the time to hassle with problems that I'm not having with SL.

All I can recommned is to next time get a Windows 7 tower (preferably) and make System Restore disks, install anti-virus and get it all set up to scan/autoupdate/backup on it's own in the middle of the night.

Microsoft supports their OS versions for at least a decade on average, so there won't be really be a need to upgrade the OS or anything until the hardware dies, unlike Apple which is now on a annual OS X version upgrade cycle. LOL. 😀

Sep 16, 2012 5:39 PM in response to ds store

Ha-ha.....you're funny. I probably should have said I will NEVER go back to MS. All the security software drove me INSANE. Now that I understand how Apple does things I'll pay more attention. And continue to appreciate the simplicity of it all.

Plus I LOVE how the company shares their profits with their shareholders. I started buying stock in 2008 and just added a few more shares last week. I'm already up $30/share!! Plus their new very generous dividends. 🙂

Is Apple still supporting Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.