Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac wont eject disc...

Hey all,

earlier today i was burning a batch of cds and had a bit of trouble with one. When i stuck the cd in the drive, it took a while for the disc to be recognised (i was burning audio tracks using WaveBurner, the software that comes with Logic) but eventually was recognised and burn the tracks no problem. But now, the drive will not eject the disc. Everytime i try to, the disc spins down and unmounts from the desktop, but then spins up again and re-mounts, opening iTunes on the way. Ive tried all the tips and tricks to try to get it to eject (hold down eject key on startup, use disk utility, use toast titanium, leave the computer for 15 minutes then try....etc etc) and it still wont budge! I use my ODD quite a bit (probably the only iMac user around who does anymore 😝) and need to get this disc out! I know older macs had the old hole which you jam a paperclip into to force eject a cd, but cant see one on these new macs...anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 4:38 PM

4 replies

Sep 15, 2012 4:41 PM in response to Aaron Cottrell

if none of the following methods work, I suggest taking it in for service.

Force eject a stuck cd/dvd

First try the normal methods to remove the disc. Drag its icon to the Trash can in the Dock or select 'Eject' from the File menu.

If you are running a virtual machine, e.g. VMFusion, ensure that the CD is disconnected from the virtual machine. This will sometimes allow the CD to now show up in Mac OS X.

Shut down the computer and start up whilst holding down the mouse button. This may take some time, but keep your finger on the mouse button right up until the disc comes out or the log-in screen has appeared.

If you have Toast Titanium installed on your computer, choose EJECT DISC from the menubar.

Sometimes you can successfully use the eject disc button in iTunes even if the disc is not visible to the Finder

Open Disc utility and choose the disc you wish to eject in the left-hand pane, then click on the Eject button.

Some Macintoshes have a paperclip hole that you can insert a straightened paperclip into, manually triggering the eject mechanism.

Open Terminal and type "drutil tray eject" to eject the disc/tray, and "drutil tray close" to close the tray.

If your computer has an eject button on the keyboard, restart the computer holding down the Option key. When the startup disk selection screen appears, let go of the option key and press the keyboard's eject button.

Source: http://guides.macrumors.com/Force_Eject_a_Stuck_CD_or_DVD

Sep 29, 2012 2:45 PM in response to Aaron Cottrell

I'm having the same problem. I've had a problem ever since I mistakenly put two DVDs in at the same time, and I think the drive got misaligned with the hold, so now when it tries to eject, it starts to come out, gets blocked and goes back in.

Rarely, the DVD will come out on its own, but most of the time stays stuck in there. I've had limited success trying to use a letter opener or screwdriver to try to guide the DVD out or make the opening slightly larger. Sometimes, the DVD will come out, but again, I'm not sure exactly what the best technique is, so most of the time it just goes back into the drive. Well, it never actually comes out, but you can hear it start to eject, then go back in and spin up again.

Does anyone know of the best way to guide a DVD out in a case like this?

iMac wont eject disc...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.