Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 questions: printer settings and internet connection.

I have a two part question.

1) I have an older PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11. How do I change the default printer settings to only print in black ink every time? I found a setting where I can change it to gray tone and save it as a favorite but I have to change that setting every time I want to print something. How do I set it so that it will automatically print in black without me changing any settings?

2) Every once in a while my computer will stop connecting to the internet. It shows in AirPort that I am connected to my linksys and have a full connection but the pages will not load. I have tried several different browsers when this happens and nothing works. Then one day it will just randomly start working again. Has anybody else ever had this problem and how did you fix it? I've tried updating my software and it says everything is up to date. It drives me crazy and I can't figure out how to fix it!

Powerbook G4

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 8:09 PM

2 replies

Sep 16, 2012 12:05 PM in response to spiritcreek

1) What is the make and model of the printer? Often, you end up having to ask the printer manufactirer to resolve this kind of issue.

2) A lot of PowerBooks and MacBook Pros seem to experience such drop-outs. Are you fully updated? Have you tried different locations and orientations for the computer?

Some people have resorted to an external USB adaptor and had the problem go away. You must find one that has Mac drivers or it will not work. This one will work under OS 10.4.11 and has proper drivers:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXP2802GU2/

It is only wireless "g" at best but that is not much of an issue unless your ISP is providing you with speeds in excess of about 15MBps. It is no slower than the Airport card installed in your PowerBook.

2 questions: printer settings and internet connection.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.