Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Another "can't download support drivers" question (but with a twist)

From looking through the forum it seems that a lot of people are having difficulty downloading the drivers through the boot camp assistant, and the most common advice seems to be to use the drivers that come with the snow leopard 10.6 install disc.

That's all good and well, except I have just bought a brand new iMac and it had Mountain Lion on it already. It did not come with any software installation disc.

So my question is: how do I get the windows support software onto my machine if I can't download it through the boot camp assistant?

Should I have received a system software CD with my computer?

Many thanks in advance.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 7:23 AM

There is no disk with Mountain Lion. The Windows Support software is only available through Boot Camp Assistant. Keep trying. The download servers are notoriously slow.

7 replies

Sep 16, 2012 2:48 PM in response to Blind_Guardian

Blind_Guardian wrote:

Thanks. OK I'll just give it a go downloading and leave it overnight or something. I don't mind waiting for the download, my concern was that the download would just not work period, which is what some people seem to be reporting, but if it's just a case of waiting then I'll do that. Thanks.

It may not work but unfortunately the period of time needed to verify that it failed (rather than just took a long time) is measured in hours. If it does fail post back for other advice.

Sep 17, 2012 1:59 AM in response to EuphoricDeath

I haven't installed Windows yet, I've just started downloading the drivers now, just doing it in the order that the boot camp assistant suggests (download drivers first, then partition and install windows after).

But no, I have Windows on a DVD.

One other question I have is, how big is the support software? Because the boot camp assistant has asked me to insert a blank CD or DVD to burn it to. I don't have any DVDs lying around so I just inserted a 700mb CD-R. But it just occurred to me that this may not be big enough?

Sep 17, 2012 12:44 PM in response to Blind_Guardian

Well I got everything up and running today, not a bother.

It actually only took about an hour, if that, to download the drivers. Possibly because I downloaded them early this morning (which would be the middle of the night over in the US and so probably a lot less people trying to download it from the apple servers).

For a while only the keyboard was working but for some reason the wireless mouse wasn't, but I just ran the driver installer again and it seemed to resolve itself.

So thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

Another "can't download support drivers" question (but with a twist)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.