Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDD constantly writing

My HDD is constanty writing without any activity on my part. Excluding the HDD from Spotlight search or disconnecting the machine from the net makes no difference. Seems to be a common problem among users but haven't found a fix. Help much appreciated.

/Stefan

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 2,66 Ghz Intel Core i5, 4 GB DDR3

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 7:31 AM

11 replies

Sep 18, 2012 11:03 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Looking at activity monitor was in fact the first thing I did - but while there's a lot of disk activity, there seems to be very litte CPU involvement.

The kernel_task is the most activite one (beside activity montor task of course) but mostly in the range between 0,3 and 1,5%. Other active processes are almost always below 1%. I'm not sure what to comsider as "too much" in this context?

/Stefan

Sep 18, 2012 11:32 AM in response to neus32

Open Terminal in Utilities and enter

sudo fs_usage

Hit return, after which you will be prompted for your admin password. You won't see it as you type it in. And you will be given a warning, then hit return again.

You will have to scroll down -- use the down arrow -- looking for all the writes and which process is making them. There will be a lot to look through, but this may give you a clue.

To quit, enter Control-C.

Sep 18, 2012 1:20 PM in response to neus32

Just to be sure, did you make the change in Activity Monitor that BDAqua suggested? Makes a huge difference as, by default, AM shows only a limited number of processes.

Any third-party "pay for" anti-virus or security software running?

Perchance do you have the game "Prey"? Its demo caused my MacBook Pro to continuously write to system.log, ballooning that file from normal 200-300k to over 65MB. The game did not have to be running for it to act out.

Sep 23, 2012 9:34 AM in response to WZZZ

Hi WZZZ and BDAqua,

My HDD have stayed rather calm for a number of days, but is now chugging along again. I did run the sudo fs_usage and these are the processes I see (the two first are the most frequent):

hamachid

mdworker

mds

mDNSResponder

launchd

launchadd

kernel_task

diskmanagement

AppleIDAuthAgent

For Allan Jones: Yes- I'm viewing all processes in activity monitor.

/Stefan

HDD constantly writing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.