Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my mid 2007 iMac as an external display for my new Macbook Pro?

I want to use my mid 2007 IMac as an external display when I work on my new Macbook Pro. The guy at the Apple store said this would only work with 2010 and later IMacs, but he also said a Thunderbolt cable would fit into the mini display port on the IMac, so, needless to say, his knowledge is suspect. Does anyone know if this will work and where I can find a cable to connect the two computers?

MacBook Pro, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 7:13 AM

9 replies

Jun 22, 2017 5:53 PM in response to Dekemeister

Yes. What the dealer told you is suspect. At work, there is an iMac from mid-2007, that I was trying to hook up to my MacBook Pro 2014. According to the spec for this iMac has a mini dvi port, you can hook it up to a mini dvi to dvi adaptor and hook it up to the laptop with a dvi to Apple mini display port cable. That is the physical hook up

Tomorrow, I'll try to connect the iMac to the laptop and see how it'll work. I'll report it.

Nov 10, 2017 10:02 PM in response to siew ling

Did this work for you?

I'm in almost the exact same scenario (want to use a iMac mid 2007 model as second monitor for the MacBook Pro late 2013 model). I'm planning to upgrade my iMac to OS X 10.7 (currently still only on 10.5.8), but from what I've read online, the iMac mid 2007 model doesn't have video input capability (only video output).

Sep 16, 2012 7:23 AM in response to Dekemeister

Dekemeister wrote:

I want to use my mid 2007 IMac as an external display when I work on my new Macbook Pro. The guy at the Apple store said this would only work with 2010 and later IMacs, but he also said a Thunderbolt cable would fit into the mini display port on the IMac, so, needless to say, his knowledge is suspect. Does anyone know if this will work and where I can find a cable to connect the two computers?

Thunderbolt cables fit in mini display ports, he was quite correct.

Can I use my mid 2007 iMac as an external display for my new Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.