Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight camera not detected after sleep

Hi,

The iSight camera on my 9 month old MacBook Air has decided that it will no longer be detected after the laptop has been asleep.

If I log out, then log back in again, it is then detected and works as it should do. It only appears to affect my user profile (I've created a test profile, logged in with that then put the machine to sleep). I've also repaired permissions on the disc, and reset the PMU, all to no avail. It is listed in the System Information under USB. It affects all applications that use it. I've run out of things to try, short of going to my Apple dealer to get them to sort it out, or deleting my profile and setting a new one up.

One other thing, which may be related, is that the screen dims after 30 seconds, despite the power settings set at 3 minutes for the screen to sleep at.

I have Mac OS X 10.7.4 installed (which has been updated by the system a few times...I think it had 10.7.1 when I first got the machine), but these problems did not start following any form of upgrade (as far as I can remember).

Thanks in advance,

Gerald.

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 8:11 AM

17 replies

Sep 24, 2012 12:02 PM in response to geraldholdsworth

I'm having apparently the same problem. I'm not 100% that the sleep is the cause, but I'm almost certain.

I have a MBA 2012 since June, but this problem only appeared around September. I tried resetting the SMC, following articles about iSight cameras on these forums, but it doesn't work. Help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Flv

Sep 25, 2012 3:41 AM in response to Flv

This has completely stumped Apple - I took it into my local store (OK, it was a Stormfront and not an Apple store) and they had no idea. They did come up with some options:

1. Upgrade to Mountain Lion - this should fix the problem (because it overwrites any corrupt files) and keep all the settings. Downside is, it costs (albeit 13-odd quid), and I've heard bad things about ML.

2. Re-install Lion - this will basically revert the computer to how it was when new. Apparently, even though I don't have any install media, this can be acheived by pressing a key on power up (I think he said CTRL).

3. Give it to them to send away to get fixed - it would be away for about a week, and would probably end up with them doing one of the previous two options anyway.

I came up with a fourth option of creating a new profile and using that instead, as it appears to only be limited to my profile - that's just a pain in the a**e to do, but seems the best of the four.

Cheers,

Gerald.

Sep 26, 2012 8:13 AM in response to geraldholdsworth

I'm having the same problem with my MacBook Air Mid 2011.

It's been going on for over a year.

I have upgraded to Mountain Lion - hasn't helped.

I spent time with Apple support on the phone and took anything they didn't recognize from the startup items - also didn't help.

Apple has said they will take it and diagnose it - perhaps replace logic board and/or clamshell and return after a week, but I also hope I can figure this out without having to resort to this.

I have been experimenting with a separate login account, which leads me to believe that this is some kind of software issue.

If anyone can figure this out - I would be very happy.

Sep 26, 2012 11:26 PM in response to blmman

More things that haven't helped:

I have done the SMC and PRAM reset

I tried removing com.apple.mio.VDCAssistant.plist based on this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2472

There's a pretty good thread about ideas to try here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3065308

The 2 people that seem to know the most about these issues on the discussion boards are:

Ralph Johns https://discussions.apple.com/profile/Ralph%20Johns%20(UK)

EZ Jim https://discussions.apple.com/profile/EZ%20Jim

Sep 27, 2012 1:04 PM in response to geraldholdsworth

Hi geraldholdsworth,

I would start with a PRAM reset. (you do not mention that you have done it)

Shut down the computer.

Restart it holding down Apple/CMD ( or ⌘)+ALT( ⌥)+P+R Keys until you have heard three Start Up Bongs.

User uploaded file

If this seems not to work then I would do a SMC/PMU reset

Port Reset.

There used to be a "trick" to reset the Firewire ports (the System gives them IP type numbers) and it can also work for USB items (And the internal iSight is an USB item)

Shut down the the computer for 15 mins. This allows the power in certain capacitors to discharge.

If a Laptop also Unplug the power cord (apparently leaving it plugged in causes the Ports to hold on to their info).

Whilst you try those I will look to see what .plists it might be as it appears to effect your main Mac User Accounts only

User uploaded file
9:04 PM Thursday; September 27, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and and iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Sep 28, 2012 3:54 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph,

I did not try a PRAM reset, but have now. It appears to have done the trick, but could be too early to tell. Since I started this thread, OS X 10.7.5 was released and my machine updated - but this also did not help.

I also found on another thread another suggestion (which may have been you as well) about removing applications - I seem to remember that the last application I installed was a utility to talk to an Andriod device (file transfers), which was about the same time as the problem started. However, saying that, I removed said application and the fault still persisted.

BTW, where are the .plists located? (I'm from an Acorn background, moving to Windows before seeing the light).

Many thanks,

Gerald.

Sep 28, 2012 12:39 PM in response to geraldholdsworth

HI,

In Hard Drive/Users/(your account)/Library/Preferences to give it is full path

Also ~/Library/Preferences describes it in a more familiar way to Apple Users.

Basically your Home Folder User uploaded file where you can see the Pictures , Document, Movies and other folders, has a Library folder.

In Lion and Mountain Lion this is Hidden

Two access methods.

1) Finder > Go Menu > Go to Folder and type in (or Copy) ~/Library/Preferences

2) Finder > Hold down ALT key whilst menu is open/dropped

Select Library that appears

Navigate to Preferences (in this case)

These Preferences (mostly .plists for apps) are those settings for your Mac User Account.

In Hard Drive/Library (top level where you can see Applications and System) you have another Preferences Folder but these are global settings for every user.

User uploaded file
8:39 PM Friday; September 28, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Aug 25, 2013 12:09 PM in response to alexandrefro

HI,

This thread was started in September 2012.

It has had no new posts since the 29th of that month.

I am also not sure how a File Transfer app is effecting the iSight/FaceTime camera.

User uploaded file
8:09 PM Sunday; August 25, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 25, 2013 12:58 PM in response to alexandrefro

Interesting.

I would not of thought of looking that way.

User uploaded file
8:58 PM Sunday; August 25, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 25, 2013 1:07 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I posted about this about a year ago.

Since then my problem has been solved. Sometimes end of last year. Unfortunately i don't remember exactly what could have solved it, but it probably was one of the 3-4 updates that were released by apple at the time.

Macbook Air, 13", mid-2012, os x mountain lion 10.8.4 with all updates.

Hope this will get solved for you guys as well!

Cheers

Flv

Aug 25, 2013 11:33 PM in response to Flv

Mine is still giving me problems. I have to logout and login and then the camera start working again.

I have tried everything including taking to Apple store where they are willing to switch out the main board.

I still think this is a software issue though.

I have the latest updates 10.8.4, although an older Macbook Air, 13", mid-2011.

I have uninstalled Android File Transfer and will see if that helps.

iSight camera not detected after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.